Instant Capuccino

garyscottadamson

Apr 8, 2007
UK
Visit site
I have recently come across a new line of "coffee"; instant capuccino, mocha and espresso. I personally find this pretty disturbing as it's simply leading customers into thinking they're purchasing something they're not. Whilst doing this, Kenco (the people producing the line of coffee) like to make it worse with slogans such as "enjoy coffehouse coffee at home"

I thought that cappuccino was one part espresso, one part frothed milk and one part steamed milk. Isn't espresso a process in which steam is pumped through tightly packed coffee?

How all of this can be packed into a sachet, i do not know.

This has really got me angry because I spend a lot of time concentrating on espresso and improving my skills as a barista. I feel it's my duty as a person committed to coffee to do something about this.

If you're british, (where the product line exists) you could maybe complain to the trading standards, because this is most certainly a breach.

Hey G.S.A. You are right, and this is not just a trend popping up i the UK. Here in Asia most instant producers have a line of three-in-one sachets that are sold as "Cappuccino", "Latte" etc. You just add hot water, stir like mad and hey presto- you are left with a tepid looking drink similar in appearance to Milo. Sadly, as the market here is way behind many other countries, producers do very well with these drinks. Even 4 star hotels will serve these in lieu of spending a few bucks on an espresso machine :twisted:

desertjedi

Nov 2, 2007
Visit site
I''d beware of any magical, instant coffee drinks. In order to try and imitate the flavor, they probably include ingredients like hydrogenated oils and possibly even high-fructose corn syrup - ingredients not conducive to a long and healthy life.

cindy

Feb 8, 2005
South Africa
Visit site
instant capuccino is popping out here in south africa aswell, and i find it just as irritating. why would restaurant owners and coffee shops bother in paying thousands to get the right equipment, and then the big guys stuff it all up with their instant rubbish and their silly slogans?
whats worse is that some people are convinced that the stuff you buy in a packet is indeed the real thing, and then theyll even argue when you try and correct them...dont even try and explain the process of real capuccino to them, coz half of them will just say " no, you just add water"...and until very recently, south africans believed that its no big deal to open a coffee shop. this concept was, and still is in smaller towns very popular amongst bored housewifes who buy a household drip perculator on sale somewhere and then sell the cheapest blend of supermarket coffee by the mug full, topping it with whipped cream from a can and calling it REAL CAPUCCINO!
PLEASE TELL ME SOUTH AFRICA ISNT THE ONLY COUNTRY WITH THAT PROBLEM....im starting to feel very alone!!!! :(