Instant Coffee

garyscottadamson

Apr 8, 2007
UK
Visit site
I realise that instant coffe realy isn't nice! Is this simply due to the fact that low quality beens are used or does the process get rid of all the good flavour?

If instant coffee was made with some high quality beens (what a waste that would be), would it still taste like rubbish?

coffeeroastersclub6

Nov 30, 2006
Connecticut
Visit site
garyscottadamson said:
I realise that instant coffe realy isn't nice! Is this simply due to the fact that low quality beens are used or does the process get rid of all the good flavour?

If instant coffee was made with some high quality beens (what a waste that would be), would it still taste like rubbish?

Low quality Vietnamese Robusta beans are used, and they actually remove the crappy taste mechanically before it is made into the final product. Can you imagine how awful it would taste if they did not! In any rate, if arabica beans were used in the process, the end result would be better, but no where near as good if you roasted your own.

Len
CoffeeRoastersClub.com

garyscottadamson

Apr 8, 2007
UK
Visit site
Well in the UK you can buy 100% arabica instant coffee, where origins are stated. I've seen 100% columbian instant coffee, and it is more expensive that columbian roasted beans.

Instant coffee is not good, but i think it is better in the UK than the US because here instant coffee is the norm. I think instant is better thancoffee that is 2 weeks old (by that i mean it was roasted and ground two weeks prior).

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
garyscottadamson said:
Well in the UK you can buy 100% arabica instant coffee, where origins are stated. I've seen 100% columbian instant coffee, and it is more expensive that columbian roasted beans.

Instant coffee is not good, but i think it is better in the UK than the US because here instant coffee is the norm. I think instant is better thancoffee that is 2 weeks old (by that i mean it was roasted and ground two weeks prior).

You can buy different grades of instant coffee. They pretty much run from crap to very bad. I personally would rather drink proper coffee that was roasted and ground up to 1 year ago, as at least it tastes like coffee. I think I have not drunk any instant coffee for a good 10 years now and drank it only under protest before that....I have also killed plenty of housplants with it (when served it as a guest)!.

If only instant coffee existed....I would become a tea drinker....instant coffee sucks :(