Is An 8' x 16' (Double-Sided) Drive-Thru Big Enough?

ABM

Mar 4, 2007
Atlanta
Visit site
Hi, all.....

I have an opportunity to purchase an 8' x 16' drive-thru. It's a very nice wood construction, cedar shake sided unit, but without any fixtures, HVAC, etc. I'd have to price, then purchase all of that separately.

My main question right now is: Are these generally big/practical enough when operating a double-sided operation?

I'd prefer to have a toilet inside, but I doubt that would be practical, right? The business will operate out of a large parking lot, so I was also considering leasing one of those porta-potties for my employees to use. Haven't priced those, as of yet, though.

Nonetheless, the price on this drive-thru is so tempting, I'm still strongly considering purchasing it.

Do any of you have experience with this size of an operation? Or, have any thoughts and/or suggestions regarding the same?

Thanks!
ABM

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Most of the ones I'm seeing on the net are no more than your 8' x 16' drive-thru.
Here's a neat one, looks to be only 8' x 16' , including the overhanging roof.
Ain't she a beauty? I want one!!
homedrivethrubig.jpg

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I'll give you a bit of advice if you decide to purchase one. Halogen lights, they may look nice but don't buy them. I've been in a few of the 8x16's around here and they all have them. They are hot as hell and in one shack there are about 8 above the espresso machine.

I've come out of there pretty toasty a few times to many and dread going back.

ABM

Mar 4, 2007
Atlanta
Visit site
davidsbiscotti said:
Most of the ones I'm seeing on the net are no more than your 8' x 16' drive-thru.
Here's a neat one, looks to be only 8' x 16' , including the overhanging roof.
Ain't she a beauty? I want one!!

No toilet/bathroom, though, right?

Am I wrong to consider a porta-potty?

Thanks!

ABM

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
ABM, some of the drive-thru building programs include a bathroom. Check them out for some ideas.

P.S. - Now, I can see you selling ice cream there in the summer. 8)

ABM

Mar 4, 2007
Atlanta
Visit site
davidsbiscotti said:
ABM, some of the drive-thru building programs include a bathroom. Check them out for some ideas.

P.S. - Now, I can see you selling ice cream there in the summer. 8)

Thanks, I'm beginning to get REAL excited.

Someone "stole" my idea for a great (ice cream / espresso) business name, though: Cool Beans.

(sigh)

I'm now still leaning towards Fresh Scoop.

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hey ABM, I think Fresh Scoop is a type of kitty litter.
Think more sophisticated, also the name doesn't have to say "coffee and ice cream", it could be something totally off the wall.

Well, turns out that 99% of coffee shops use the word coffee in one form or another. I found one I liked = Bad Ass Coffee. I'm also thinking use another language, like Italian for hut is capanna, Espresso Capanna???

But!!! I've got it! Coffee Cone!!! :D

ABM

Mar 4, 2007
Atlanta
Visit site
davidsbiscotti said:
Hey ABM, I think Fresh Scoop is a type of kitty litter.

Holy CRAP, you're right! :shock:

Think more sophisticated, also the name doesn't have to say "coffee and ice cream", it could be something totally off the wall.

Well, turns out that 99% of coffee shops use the word coffee in one form or another. I found one I liked = Bad Ass Coffee. I'm also thinking use another language, like Italian for hut is capanna, Espresso Capanna???

But!!! I've got it! Coffee Cone!!! :D

Now THAT's nice. Very nice.

I'll have to have my peeps call your peeps and get something worked out. 8)

Thanks

ABM