Is It Safe to Let Children Drink Coffee ??

Dr_Pain

Jan 31, 2007
Visit site
The things you read and the website out there supporting each and everyones theory....arggghhhh!!!!

Up to now there has been no conclusive evidence to support the direct effect of caffeine on brain development, hyperactivity or linked to ADD or ADHD, or any anthropometic studies evaluating the effects of caffeine on physical attributes such as height, weight or linking to premature aging of collagenous structure.

Is it a drug???? Yes, because of its effect on neurochemical receptors
Is it a stimulant??? Depends on your metabolism and its suceptibility to adrenergic stimulation.
Does it have negative repercussion??? Yes, 200mg of caffeine/day almost doubles urinary and fecal calcium output.
What does that mean??? Premature decalcification of bones and teeth, and theories regarding abnormality of muscle contraction (since calcium initiates the nerve impulse at the motor end plate)

Is it a OK to drink while pregnant?? Is it OK to let a developing child drink caffeinated beverages?? NOBODY KNOWS for sure!!!!!! Rule of thumb... Better safe than sorry.

P.S. Coffee milk and Cola from the time I was a toddler and I grew up to be 6''6\", played college basketball and achieved to graduate with honors from a very pretigious school. Did it stunt my growth, I hope so!!!!! Did it affect my brain development, maybe!!!! Will I suffer from osteoporosis and have premature arthritis....most likely..... but satistically, because of my height and weight, I am already pre-disposed. Do I still drink coffee?? Occasionally. Do I let my kids drink caffeinated beverages??? Absolutely not!!! Why?? Refined sugars, first; habit forming, second; my father-in-law is a dentist, third; and obviously the potential remains that something will be discovered later on linking caffeine and !?!?!

haytoniaho

Jun 21, 2006
NJ
Visit site
Well, i'd say giving coffee to children is alright. When I was little my mom would give me a mug with about a third or less coffee and fill the rest with milk, and sugar. It was ok but I preferred chocolate milk 8)

shrink

May 17, 2007
Visit site
data

stick with the data and dont listen to everybody''s opinion. but as far as the research goes --one day coffee is good one day coffee is bad. bottom line is it is a drug and does affect receptors in the brain thats why you notice it versus water. so would you give anything to your child that affected his receptors in the brain. before you answer that question just remember that a candy bar also affects receptors in the brain. so if your confused you should be good nobody knows, :x

ACSJava

Sep 20, 2007
Northern Ohio
Visit site
I have heard that giving a kid with ADD a small shot of coffee in the morning allows him or her to focus/concentrate better. I know the ADD thing has been WAY overblown but my father, who is a retired schoolteacher with 35+ years experience, has sworn this to be true.

Carmine Domenaco

Oct 10, 2007
Visit site
I started drinking coffee at age 5 and my dad at the same age, my daughter started at 6 with "kids coffee" which is about 1/3 coffee and 2/3 steamed milk. She is totally normal when this is the beverage.

The real problem is corn syrup. That mixed with caffeine a la soft drinks are far worse. I was quite upset when her friend's mom dropped her off after letting her drink a coke.

She cups with us and it is part of learning the trade. I'm 6'2 and she is nearly 5' at age 8 so the whole stunting of growth thing is a myth from where I stand.

Coffee for Children?

It seems strange, but many children as old as eight and older have a reverse affect from the caffeine. That is, it tends to moderate their excess energy and helps them regulate their impulses and behavior.

My wife and I have been "therapeutic" foster parents for some ten years. We are not psychologists or therapists of any kind. Just good parents. But we've been around a lot of Masters level psychologists and councilors who often believe it to be a good idea to try approaching hyperactive behaviors with caffeine to slow the kids down. We have seen it work.

We adopted a couple of our foster kids, and have one that is now five years old. She is very very active, to put it mildly. She loves to sip our coffee. We allow it, and do notice that it helps her regulate her body. Her OT therapist also encourages it.

So, don't be too quick to judge. There are many more invasive behavioral drugs being used out there. We're very much against them. If coffee works, I'm a believer.

Mako

iampatches13

May 16, 2008
Maine
Visit site
I am a little more than 20 years older than my youngest sibling. For various reasons since they were very young (I am talking 2 years old, maybe a bit younger) they have been a bit on the over active side. We were told by our doctor that giving small amounts of coffee to children actually will calm them down rather than hype them up. I don't understand the chemistry behind this (and actually would appreciate any insight on it should anyone have the same experience) but it definitely worked. I was baffled and awed at such a thing as it completely contradicts what I would have thought.

On the stunting of the growth side, well we'll see in a few years for my sibling. I'm 6'2'' and I was drinking coffee at a pretty early age. It's my opinion that it has the stunt affect on some people and not others, depending on their biology.

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
iampatches13 said:
We were told by our doctor that giving small amounts of coffee to children actually will calm them down rather than hype them up. I don't understand the chemistry behind this (and actually would appreciate any insight on it should anyone have the same experience) but it definitely worked. I was baffled and awed at such a thing as it completely contradicts what I would have thought.

Perhaps the effect of caffiene on the child is less than the supressive effect it might have on other endocrine systems within the body?

iampatches13

May 16, 2008
Maine
Visit site
Since posting I have looked into it a little more. Apparently coffee is considered an herbal treatment for hyperactivity not only in children but adults as well. Hyperactivity treatments across the board are in perma debate mode so theres no good answer as to why it works apparently, other than speculation of course. Coffee however seems to have widespread support for treatment as it works a lot like the popular stimulant Ritalin.

So there we have it, stimulants in multiple forms being used to treat people who are over stimulated. Isn't science fun!

Look, I think this is one of those debates that has raged on endlessly, with a huge ammount of medical opinion lining up with supporting evididence on either side of the battlefield. As a recently annoited father, I would probably err on the side of safety when it comes to my child, however in saying that in Indonesia where I live, Coffee is drunk by all beginning at a very early age. I think the stimulant effects (including the laxitive effects of robusta- which is the choice of caffeine here) somewhat balance out the general lack of fibre in the diet etc. My 8 month old is damn keen to try coffee, he for sure is hooked by the aroma of what ever I am drinking- but I will wait a while yet before I let him try coffee of any description.

intently

Aug 2, 2008
MindThrow
Visit site
My 13-year-old daughter is spending every day this summer chugging down coffee at a local coffee house with her friends. After reading this thread I don''t know if I should be more worried or less. If I try to stop her it''ll bause a huge fight... sigh. :?

sunshinecafe

Aug 19, 2008
Canyonville, Oregon
Visit site
I don't think it's a bad thing to let children drink coffee. In Moderation. I certainly wouldn't be giving my 5 year old a double latte before he goes off to kindergarten though. I have been in the coffee business since my kids were 5 and 8 years old. They have been known to drink a cup of my good house blend with some hazelnut and cream in it before school. It has not stunted their growth as of yet! They are now 12 and 15.
My sister is a Registered Nurse. Her son had been on Ritalin for his ADD for years with horrible side effects. After nursing school she was so freaked out about what she learned about Ritalin that she tried giving him a strong cup of coffee every morning before school. Eventually it eliminated the need for the Ritalin. It seemed that the caffeine had a calming effect on him and did not have the side effects of the Ritalin.

COFFEE IS A WONDERFUL THING!

u_lee06

Sep 8, 2008
Visit site
Interest your topic

:) Hi. Cindy !
Thank's for your topic. I hope we have much more uniq topic a bout coffee. Cause i like it. Succes for you.