Is it the Beans or the Grinder?

garyscottadamson

Apr 8, 2007
UK
Visit site
I've got a cruisant burr grinder, which unfortunatley as stated before by other people in other posts, grinds 10% of coffee up very finely. This has in the past caused me to over-extract the coffee, leaving a bitter taste. meaning I have to ad lots of sugar, as oposed to none at all.

I therefore decided to grind some coffee to the finest possible grind, therefore hopefully meaning uniform particles. After brewing the coffee for 1minuite in a cafetiere, the coffee tastes distinctively overbrewed.

The beans I'm using are "Starbucks House Blend". I know these aren't the freshest beans, but I've got better results from the exact same coffee when pre-ground by Starbucks.

The grinder cost £50.00 around ($100 USD) so it shouldn't be so bad. I'd never say this but I want to begin buying pre-ground again, which sounds stupid as I've already got a grinder.

Has anyone had any good experiences with this grinder or these beans? or even a combination of both?

I reckon you have just about answered tis yourself G.S.A with your research method. It must be the grinder- if you get a good brew in a Caffetere using beans ground from the S.B store. Sadly, from postings on this site, as well as coffeegeek, I think the Cruisant burr grinder is just not up to the standard that a consumer would expect. Has anyone contacted the manufacturer with their concerns and complaints I wonder?

JohnB

May 30, 2008
Connecticut
Visit site
No experience with that grinder but before giving up on it you might want to try some decent coffee. Find a local roaster & buy a good single origin bean thats been roasted light or medium at most. Try it 3-7 days after roast date & see what you think.

How are you brewing the coffee?

garyscottadamson

Apr 8, 2007
UK
Visit site
I definatley will try some proper beans.

I'm bewing the coffee with a cafetiere. The brew tastes bitter after being brewed for only a minuite (espresso ground).

This isnt happening with pre-grounds. Could the grinder be damaging the flavour of the coffee in some way?

JohnB

May 30, 2008
Connecticut
Visit site
garyscottadamson said:
I definatley will try some proper beans.

I'm bewing the coffee with a cafetiere. The brew tastes bitter after being brewed for only a minuite (espresso ground).

This isnt happening with pre-grounds. Could the grinder be damaging the flavour of the coffee in some way?

First of all a very fine "Espresso grind" is not what you should be using in a f/p. Try the typical coarse grind/4 minute brew & see how it tastes. If your grinder is creating too much dust, causing a bitter brew even on its coarsest setting' then you need to upgrade. You could also try a drip grind/3 minute brew & see how it tastes.

Any beans you get from Charbucks are going to yield a burnt flavor in your cup but if the preground tastes better then fresh ground you either have a grind or grinder problem.

garyscottadamson

Apr 8, 2007
UK
Visit site
I've just bought some freshly roasted colombian beans. I'm going to give them a go in a couple of days.

you're not meant to use freshly roasted beans right? they should be 1-2 days old?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello Mr. Biscotto...

When I saw your posting that said, "I've read the beans need to sit for at least three days or so after roasting. Davec might have some tiny chairs you could borrow," I was surprised to see that you didn't create one of your famous graphics to show tiny beans sitting on tiny chairs. You really must be very busy fine tuning your new web site!

Rose

SieWhange

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Oolong Tea

Hi ..i read this topic.I think starbucks is the good coffee beans of world.If you know about other place please search to Google.Thanks..

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
It's a shame that Starbucks roasts their beans so dark. People actually think that's they way it's supposed to be, and they are missing out on the wonderful flavors of good roasted coffee.

I admit I often enjoy eating the burned part of a toasted marchmallow, or occassionally the crispy burned edges of a juicy steak, but I hate the burnt taste of charcoal roasted coffee!

Starbucks lost my business about five years ago.

Rose

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Anything burned contains carcinogens, better to not consume.

Rose, I can't take credit for Davec's invention of tiny chairs for resting beans.... but I'm working on an idea for the choco puff smileys, if only I can get it through without the post terminator (head hunting forum moderator) seeing it, heehee. :D