Is poor-tasting coffee the status-quo for coffee shops?

ceegee

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Great read. Have to admit it is hard to find a good coffee shop, unfortunately many places tend to 'burn' the grounds and the coffee tastes very bitter. When I do find a good shop I tend to frequent it often. It is a rare find.

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
How could a cafe in that sort of town get away with selling that swill and still remain a popular place to get coffee?

I'm starting to think that the average American just has no idea what coffee is supposed to taste like!!!
I found this too. I think what really happens is that once we start to take coffee seriously, and get used to great coffee, we are spoiled to most run of the mill coffee places. It is like once you have had been to a fine Italian restaurant, you lose your taste for canned Spaghetti O's, which perhaps you once loved, or at least liked well enough.

The real burden is to not become a snob. Specialty coffee is not universally prized, and getting upset about it doesn't change that. The difference between specialty coffee and mediocre coffee is measurable. Sure. But the difference between mediocre coffee and no coffee at all is unacceptable and intolerable. Bad breath is better than no breath. :)