Is Starbucks Getting Back to the Basics?

demetri

Jul 18, 2006
Winnipeg, MB
Visit site
Authentic or not this letter speaks directly to what Starbuck's originally sought to do, and that was to recreate the experience of getting an espresso in Italy.

Starbuck's built their brand on an experience. It's logical that the man that started them on that path should reign them back in. If its not real it should have been.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
What it basically boils down to is the regret of change. As nice as it would have been to keep the old ways going, their quality and consistency was always questionable.

It's like any other fast food business, it doesn't matter if you visit a store in New York or Texas the product should be almost identical at either location. They choose the lesser of 2 evils. I don't believe it has hurt them in long run. Starbucks is more of a brand name now then it was 10 years ago.

coffee4me

Jan 4, 2007
Visit site
For all of you who think this is some sort of email....you are wrong. This was cut out of a Wall Street Journal Article that appeared Fri 2/23 in the pursuits section. The contents are pretty accurate based on the article. Most of that facts come right from the CEO's direct quotes in the WSJ article.

latinboy1976

Mar 24, 2007
Seattle
Visit site
With how large *$ is I wouldn''t expect any real change for the next year. Since they are so large a lot of their products are prebought almost a year in advance. Example, many moons ago I had to go to their corp. offices *shudders*(I still have nightmares of the corp drones chasing me in green aprons) this was hmmm I think early spring and I accidently saw what was going to be rolled out for xmas that year and they do that with a lot of seasonal stuff. Pretty much every major retailer plans a year out. So don''t expect any major changes for at least a year.

axileon

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
i think starbucks over expanded maybe?? in singapore's orchard road... every few hundred metres, you can find one outlet....

i dont know why are they crowded all the time..

LoveJava

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
I guess I'm just confused as to why Schultz would be writing to Donald more than a month after he replaced Donald as CEO. Date on the email is 2/14; Donald was replaced as CEO on 1/7 (well, agreement signed 1/22 effective 1/7 - you can find the 8-K filing with the SEC on sec.gov)

Regardless of what folks think of their coffee, I think Starbucks remains a great example for people studying business - from what to do and what not to do and how possibly to fix it.

axileon

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
i guess scultz is no doubt a great man to learn from.... after alll he build starbucks from nothing to what is it today......

maybe he will revolutionalize the gourmet coffee industry again....

3ternal

Mar 22, 2007
Seattle, WA
Visit site
They had all stores closed a few weeks back for some retraining for a few hours. It was alright I guess, everyone that works there was wide-eyed and drooling for Schultz's "inspiring" speeches as if he were a revolutionary or something. Only things changed were the machines calibrations are set for longer pulling shots, resteaming milk is no longer allowed, and shots are to be timed often. Ppl are supposed to work on their foam, but not much of that is happening. Something like 200 stores were also closed down, as well as over 200 people being laid off from the corporate office. Good thing I bailed from there before it could affect me :?