Italian Sodas

chooton

Aug 5, 2005
Sebewaing, MI
Visit site
Not a coffee drink I know, but a staple of many a coffee shop. I haven't seen any rules for making them. They very quite a bit. What is appropriate for the cognoscenti?

Questions:
  • Layered: full glass of ice, bottom syrup, topped with soda with distinct striations, or stirred?
  • Italian cream soda or french soda? I the french soda something different? I've seen some places actually blend the ice, soda, syrup and half and half with a blender... Is that right? It seems that would destroy the soda.
It seems one site called flavored cold milk a french soda, and another has italian, italian cream and french soda each on the menu. :?
  • How much syrup should be used?
  • Foof?

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Italian Sodas are nothing more then flavoring added to carbonated water. If it is a cream soda then you can add half and half or some type of substitute. Quantities are dictated by the type of syrup you use and size of glass. Stirring...well who really knows, some people like to watch it settle over the ice and some don't. As to everything else it is personal preference.

KS

Apr 13, 2005
Illinois
Visit site
Italian Soda Ratios

I know that with our syrup brand (Routin 1883) recommends about 1- 1 1/2 ounces of syrup for 10-12 oz of sparkling water. This brand is supposed to be more concentrated than many others, so other brands may use more.

pomlikewhoa

Jan 15, 2006
LA, CA
Visit site
can anyone point me in the direction of retail routin syrup distributors? i accidentally came across a bottle of roasted hazlenut while in ross and i cant get enough. but apparently i did, because the bottle is now empty. while most people my age would add it to alcohol, i prefer to add it to italian, or more like french sodas. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Muddycup

Dec 4, 2005
New York
Visit site
we use torani, but are checking into 1883.

we use 16oz cup
5 pumps flavor - 1 can seltzer

we then add ice after to mix (syrup over ice congels)

cost about .80 retail $2.75

Hmm, seems peeps in everywhere but the NW are telling me that I don't :
1) add flavor; like blackberry
2) add alot of ICE into cup
3) add clubsoda-leave room for cream (1/2&1/2)
4) add cream, and stir gently but real good to mix contents.

Note: if you don't have alot of Ice the drink will foam and can " explode" when a lid in placed on it.

That's how we do it in WA. I have two espresso drive throughs that do it this way, and without the 1/2 & 1/2 we call it an American Soda.

My.002

MHO

for the cost and quality I love Davinci, I have 2 drive thrus' and That's all I use. Sure there's better...but at what cost. Being an owner I understand bottom line and quality. I never want to serve anyting I'm not proud of or for that matter drive anyting I'm not satisfied with. Sure an Escallade would be cool, but my Dakota is too...

So my short answer is: Yes I use Davinci, and I really like the products: Syrups and Sauses....