JBM Coffee Sellers

JordanL

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Quick question from a new guy on this forum,

A few years back I spent some of my summer in Jamaica. I heard about Jamaican Blue Mountain while I was there and was able to get my hands on a few pounds of the authentic (not blended) stuff. I brewed some of the best coffee I've ever tasted out of those beans! I'm currently searching around online to get some more, seeing as I don't have the luxury to take a quick trip back any time soon and I don’t know of anyone in my area that sells it unfortunately. I’ve found a lot of sites claiming they sell the authentic, non-mixed stuff, but I’m not familiar enough with any vendors/companies online to know if they are legit in the claims to quality they are making. Could any of you recommend any sellers that you know sell the real deal from experience? I’ve searched around on this forum, too, but I’m not finding any specific vendors. Here are a few that I’ve already found that look solid:

J. Martinez and Company

Bluemountaincoffee.com

Any feedback??

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Not feedback, just a question; do you have more money than sense?

Take that with a grain of salt, please. And don't assume I'm telling you how to spend your money. It simply has never made sense to me to drink JBM when there are equally smooth/nuanced coffees for way less money.

We now return you back to your regularly scheduled programming...

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
if I were you, I would not buy any JBM from on-line sellers.
the reason?
a lot of times, they will send you old harvest coffee from last year and even worse probably it got roasted few month back. I personally know some big on-line sellers from Guatemala. they do not roast each time they get one or two bags of orders. they roast whole bunch and sell them to on line consumers. and the inventory might lasts few month.

so, if you really like to have JBM, either you need to find a good and honest local roasters who carry them or buy JBM green beans from reputable green bean sellers and roast them by yourself.
because 9 out of 10, you will get disappointed if you buy from on line sellers, specially JBM.

Last edited:

JordanL

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Not feedback, just a question; do you have more money than sense?

Take that with a grain of salt, please. And don't assume I'm telling you how to spend your money. It simply has never made sense to me to drink JBM when there are equally smooth/nuanced coffees for way less money.

We now return you back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Of course, you're totally right. But you could have made your point without the attitude. It's more for the nostalgia factor than anything else for me.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Of course, you're totally right. But you could have made your point without the attitude. It's more for the nostalgia factor than anything else for me.

ha ha ha, JordanL. I know that you are new here, so you do not know "Peter" well enough.
once you get to know him, you will like him.
he is very knowledgeable and humorous & genuine person and absolutely nothing bad intended.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Coffee is such a complex beverage, with so many processes involved from harvest to consumption, that is is a wonder a good cup of coffee ever comes out as a final result. I wonder how much of the best coffee ever grown and roasted ended up a someone's brewbasked after it had already staled, and if the person even knew it was stale. Everyone "in coffee" seems to understand that good coffee, unlike a lot of things in life, doesn't just happen.

I don't know of too many roasters that carry JBM as it's price does not promote quick sales, and much of it stales on the shelf. Roasting your own merely means that you'll destroy the experience you are trying to duplicate untli your roasting skills rise to the level worthy of the bean...and at a very high expense. If you take the baton, and learn to roast coffee first, you are likely to end up seeing the wisdom in Peters response. If I was you, I'd call or email Michael Sheldrake of Polly's Gourmet Coffee and explain your dilemma. He has been roasting specialty coffee since the 1970's, is well connected in the industry, and may be able to point you in the right direction. I just visited his website, and it looks like they have some estate Kona coffee, but no JBM. Try Santa Barbara Roasting company too...they also do a large volume of roasted origin coffee. As an interesting side note, Starbucks is now converting stores in more affluent neighborhoods to carry small lot coffee, and currently have JBM in 12oz bags. Cannot tell you if these are blends, but would assume that they might not be the best JBM on earth...just sayin'...

Last edited:

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Correction: Starbucks is selling JBM (single source, small lot, according to the store manager) in 8oz. bags, not 12oz.

Price per pound: $69.00 ($34.50/8oz)

Caution: No roast dates available. Assume stale beans. So is stale JBM better than MJB?

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Correction: Starbucks is selling JBM (single source, small lot, according to the store manager) in 8oz. bags, not 12oz.

Price per pound: $69.00 ($34.50/8oz)

Caution: No roast dates available. Assume stale beans. So is stale JBM better than MJB?

I guess it is almost same thing as CBTL (coffee bean tea leaf) selling Kona at $32/8oz with 2 year roasting expiration date.
These guys should be ashamed of themselves.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Really????? that is the real American way?
If so, I am so disappointed :+(

Don't know what to tell ya...sorry to be the bearer of bad news. P.T. Barnum said, "You can't go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." I would just add that you can become a rich man exploiting Barnum's insight....just sayin'...