Jura Z6 bean to coffee ratio

CupaGil

May 21, 2022
Southeast USA
Visit site
I want to alternate between regular and decaf beans in my Jura Z6. The question is has anyone measured the amount of beans in the hopper/grinder (# cups of coffee) when "refill bean hopper" appears on the screen?
CupaGil

I.Fix.Jura

Aug 6, 2021
Spring, Texas
Visit site
Decaf usually goes into the ground coffee chute after you grind it with a separate grinder. Because even you emptied the Z6 grinder, it still has a lot grinded coffee leftover inside which could be enough to kill a caffeine sensitive person.
Or you can buy a Jura with dual hoppers.

CupaGil

May 21, 2022
Southeast USA
Visit site
Decaf usually goes into the ground coffee chute after you grind it with a separate grinder. Because even you emptied the Z6 grinder, it still has a lot grinded coffee leftover inside which could be enough to kill a caffeine sensitive person.
Or you can buy a Jura with dual hoppers.
Thanks, first we are not caffeine sensitive so worst case if we drink it after 3:00 PM it might cost us some sleep. I emailed Jura the same question and their answer was that the next cup of coffee would be a combination of caffeinated and decaf, so if it matters throw it away. When I look into the hopper of the Z6 after the add beans indicator light comes on there appears to be a significant amount of beans left so I'm not so sure about one cup worth. If you were really concerned my guess is two cups. Now the Giga 6 is the best answer but $6000.00 is a little pricey for the convenience.
CupaGil

I.Fix.Jura

Aug 6, 2021
Spring, Texas
Visit site
In the grinder, you can find two bean monitoring sensors facing each other:
10168-2.jpg

Whatever amount of coffee under these two sensors is the leftover, plus those already grinded on the other side of the burrs.

CupaGil

May 21, 2022
Southeast USA
Visit site
In the grinder, you can find two bean monitoring sensors facing each other:
10168-2.jpg

Whatever amount of coffee under these two sensors is the leftover, plus those already grinded on the other side of the burrs.
I Fix:
Clearly, you're an expert on the innards of the Z6, whats your educated guess in terms of the number of cups when the display says refill hopper?
CupaGil

I.Fix.Jura

Aug 6, 2021
Spring, Texas
Visit site
The only known number is it can hold 280g of coffee beans. Since the amount of coffee for each cup is different depends on your settings for different coffee drinks, the number of cups is a variable. It could be 14 cups or 28 cups.

CupaGil

May 21, 2022
Southeast USA
Visit site
The only known number is it can hold 280g of coffee beans. Since the amount of coffee for each cup is different depends on your settings for different coffee drinks, the number of cups is a variable. It could be 14 cups or 28 cups.
After the "Refill the hopper" notification comes on???????????????
The question is the quantity of beans in the machine when the notification comes on.
CupaGil

I.Fix.Jura

Aug 6, 2021
Spring, Texas
Visit site
That's answered already: Whatever amount of coffee under these two sensors is the leftover, plus those already grinded on the other side of the burrs.
If I have to give a number, I'd say no more than 40g of coffee. Still have enough caffeine in it.

CupaGil

May 21, 2022
Southeast USA
Visit site
O.K. the answer is (drum roll) two cups worth of beans are left when the "refill bean hopper" indication comes on in a Jura Z6. So if you switch from caffeinated beans to decaf beans the third cup brewed (six-ounce serving) the third cup will have a minimum of caffeine. This was determined by experimenting.
For my purposes, since the concern is caffeine right before bedtime this should work since our evening coffee is usually a milk specialty coffee, Flat white, cappuccino or Latte Macchiato, etc. that includes a smaller percentage coffee it should be O.K. If not, I will be making a late-night post to refine the conclusion.
CupaGil

CupaGil

May 21, 2022
Southeast USA
Visit site
Yes, that's why I know there is a PURPOSE of that ground coffee chute on every single SUPER automatic Jura machine. If a grinder is too expensive for you, use ground coffee instead.
I Fix:
As I said I appreciate your opinion. I wonder what would motivate someone to post something like "if a grinder is too expensive for you". I think whatever can be learned from this thread has been learned so I suggest we move on.
CupaGil