Just joined: need help.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Impossible to really help without knowing the mug and scoop size. In general, it's best to use weight - approx. 16-18 parts water to 1 part coffee. Or, in general terms, about 2 TBSP per 6oz water

nikijack

Thanks: I access the beans from Sweet Maria's, an assortment, roast with a Gene. I have a Fresh Roast, but it doesn't work in the winter. Grind with a Rancilio Rocky, set at about 10, quite fine. Use a Peet's spoon, which is 2 tablespoons, usually 4 of those, sometimes 5. The weight, with plastic pour over and paper filter, is about 98 grams. I don't know the temperature of the water, that may be a problem. I stir the coffee in the filter, so that all the grinds are wet. I make about a third of a mug, sometimes porcelain, sometimes the Yeti insulated. Yesterday I tried the Aeropress, for the first time, with 2 scoops. Maybe I should switch to espresso. I can't get it strong enough. Jack

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Oh, and, the water is well water, Reverse Osmosis. No chlorine.
That may be a significant part of your issue..... when you use RO it takes all of the minerals out of the water. When that occurs the coffee will taste "flat" or just lack depth of flavor. As far as temp goes, boil your water then pull it off the heat and let it sit about 1 minute, That will get you at least close enough.