Keeping the Chaff

syang

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
I have started to not toss the Chaff and started grounding my beans with it. Anyone actually tasted the Chaff? It has a very nice flavour. I find that grounding the chaff with the beans adds a very pleasant flavour to already good cup of coffee. I've done these with Costa Ricans, Nicaraguans, and am not disappointed. I say, leave the Chaff in!

Scott

roast_n_brew

Sep 1, 2006
Visit site
Chaf or not to chaf

It's all a matter of choice, Scott. Like eating a peanut with the skin on. After a while, you forget it's there. You're also using a South American bean. The tend to mask the chaf flavor a bit. Personally, I always remove the chaf because that's the way I was taught. Yeah, I know. Mindless! I have a small batch of Costa Rican beans to roast tomorrow. I'll leave the chaf in and see how it tastes compared to some I roasted several days ago. We'll see.

Good question --

Brew coffee, not over your problems.

jrnysend

Oct 24, 2005
Visit site
Cheap chaff

If your chaff is only worth .02, then you're right to loose it. I remember reading about the settlers that journeyed across America in the early 19th century. They made coffee from dirt and peat. That's what chaff reminds me of. Then again, it's all a matter of preference. I'd prefer not to drink it and definately not pay for it. Chaff that is.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I just can't imagine pouring the chaff back in...I throw out about 2 44 gallon trash cans full of the stuff a day...I can sell you my chaff if you need it :p