Keurig Coffee Maker - New and Easy To Use!

Mathazar

Dec 26, 2004
Visit site
I'm new here, I found this forum in a coffee search, this looks like a great place to hang-out and discuss coffee-related topics.

One such topic I want to discuss is my Brand New Keurig Coffee Maker.

This Has GOT to be the EASIEST coffee maker on the planet to use. The coffee is perfectly ground and housed in small plastic containers, called K-Cups. What you do, is take a K-Cup, lift the lever of the K-Cup Holder, insert a K-Cup in the holder, lower the lever (so as to puncture the K-Cup), on the digital display you have the choice between a 5 oz or 8 oz cup, make your choice by pushing the black button under the specific size cup that you want, and then the brewer does the rest. Within 40 seconds you'll have a PERFECT cup of coffee. After your coffee is made, the water reservoir refills the equivalent of 8 oz of water into the heated tank for your next cup of coffee. The water is heated to the proper temperature every time. The water reservoir, which is seated on the left side of the machine in a plastic container, will hold approximately 5 cups of water. I use bottled Spring water. Every 6 months, it's reccommended that you de-scale the coffee machine. The digital display will let you know as to when you need to de-scale. And the procedure for de-scaling is very easy. You simply fill the water reservoir with White Vinegar, and then run the machine like you would if you were making an 8 oz cup of coffee, and just run it thru it's cycle until all the vinegar is gone. Simply toss the used vinegar into your sink. When all the vinegar is gone, fill the water reservoir with fresh water and let it sit for 30 minutes, then run the coffee machine thru it's cycles again to clean out any remaining vinegar. And that's it, that's the extent of maintenance you have to do on the machine.

Keurig has partnered-up with several coffee roasters to make their K-Cups: Green Mountain, Diedrich's, Van Houtte, Timothy's, and Gloria Jean's.

Like I said, this has GOT to be the EASIEST coffee maker you'll EVER use. You can forget about driving over to the coffee store, grinding your beans, measuring the proper amount, waiting for your pot to make the coffee, or even having to drink a WHOLE pot of the same coffee.

With K-Cups, you choose which coffee flavor you want, when you want it. There's 70 different varieties of coffee.

Go to www.Keurig.com for more information, to watch the demo, and to place your order.

Because of the Christmas rush, it took my Keurig 6 days to arrive, and I ordered 2-Day Express Delivery.

By the way, NO, I DO NOT WORK FOR KEURIG!!!! :D

I'm simply a VERY satisfied customer :!:

Mathazar

Dec 26, 2004
Visit site
Hey, you can't go wrong for this much convenience, it's only $.56 a cup. I've been having SO much fun with my Keurig, it leads me to wonder why it took me SO long to discover this WORK OF ART. It's a TRUE masterpiece of a machine :D

sukispop

Mar 17, 2005
Visit site
Mathazar said:
Hey, you can't go wrong for this much convenience, it's only $.56 a cup. I've been having SO much fun with my Keurig, it leads me to wonder why it took me SO long to discover this WORK OF ART. It's a TRUE masterpiece of a machine :D

Hi Mathazar,

I'm just starting to look into getting one of these types of coffee makers(my wife found out that she has a slight heart arythmia, so she must cut out coffee altogether, leaving me the only one in the house who'll be having coffee in the morning), and I've read some outstanding reviews on the Keurig B50.

Now that you've had yours for almost three months, are you still loving it as much? Would you still recommend it? Over other similar machines, like the Senseo? And have you since found a K cup source that can get you under $.56 a cup? I think 56 cents a cup is pretty reasonable for a great cup of coffee...but less would be wonderful, wouldn't it? :lol:

Thanks!

:D

BearDenBob

Mar 11, 2005
Visit site
Ive had a B50 for 3 months now and while I will agree that it's incredibly easy and convenient in a pinch, the coffee it brews is below average to my taste as far as what I can produce with the typical consumer-grade drip machine. I find the brew to be exceedingly weak, even when using the smaller cup setting (less water). The water runs nearly clear for the last few seconds of the brew cycle, for example.

I thought that maybe it was the variety I was using, but to date I've tried K-Cup blends from Green Mountain, Timothy's, and Van Houtte. Only the roasts rated "dark" from these companies have managed to produce a cup with any significant body or aroma for my taste. I actually went so far as to return a defective case of Green Mountain French Roast to them because the brew was so weak it was almost tea-like in color, so there may be quality control issues with K-Cups as well. I've found that "shaking" the K-Cups slightly, do distribute the contents, before brewing helps somewhat.

To its credit, it produces a decently hot cup of coffee - much hotter than my other drip maker (Bunn).

Bob

sukispop

Mar 17, 2005
Visit site
BearDenBob said:
I find the brew to be exceedingly weak, even when using the smaller cup setting (less water). The water runs nearly clear for the last few seconds of the brew cycle, for example.

I thought that maybe it was the variety I was using, but to date I've tried K-Cup blends from Green Mountain, Timothy's, and Van Houtte.
Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your comments!

Of the three K-Cup brands that you've tried, have you found one that has been more consistent overall, and that delivers a truly good(if not great) cup of coffee? And are there other companies that make and sell K-Cups, other than the three that you've mentioned? I've heard that Gloria Jean makes pods that produce very good tasting coffee; do they make K-Cups as well?

Thanks again for your thoughts and comments, Bob! Take care... :D

BearDenBob

Mar 11, 2005
Visit site
The Van Houtte "dark" roasts were most acceptable, and consistent batch to batch. Still, not as stong a cup as I like.

The unit I'd purchased came with a variety pack including Gloria Jean's, and this coffee was my least preferred overall, so I've never bought it again.

Another interesting note regarding K-Cup design is the way they're sealed - they're not vacuum packed, and, in fact, many of them seem to be under slight *pressure* (the foil lid bulges a bit). In any event, I suppose this is all the price to pay for such convenience - the coffee is pre-ground and this I assume would be considered by most people to be less-than-optimal when it comes to preparing the best cup of coffee.

Bob

lucysunshine

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
Keurig B100 vs B50

Can someone explain to me why the Keurig B100 is so much more expensive than the B50?

I am trying to select a single service coffee machine for my very small office.

-Lucy

sukispop

Mar 17, 2005
Visit site
Re: Keurig B100 vs B50

lucysunshine said:
Can someone explain to me why the Keurig B100 is so much more expensive than the B50?

Hi Lucy,

I'm no electrician by any stretch of the imagination, but the B50 is UL and c-UL approved for home use only, while the B100 is UL and c-UL approved for both home and office use. I'm not sure what the electrical distinctions are(anyone?), but that's how they're listed. The only other distinguishing feature is that the B100 has a larger water reservoir than the B50. Does this explain why the B100 is so much more expensive? Probably not...but I'm guessing that, between their use UL ratings, and possibly a beefier, more commercial-quality build of the B100, these are contributing factors to their pricing differential.

There's a great blog site that features reviews and user comments on all things related to single serve coffee brewers, called SingleServeCoffee.com. Here's their link:
http://www.singleservecoffee.com/archives/000737.php

The link should bring you to the review page for the B50, but it's easy to navigate to find their review of the B100, and all of the subsequent user comments. 'Hope this helps....I'm facing a challenge myself, trying to choose between the Keurig B50 and the Bunn "My Cafe"(a pod brewer that's gotten really good reviews so far).

:D [/b]

darrylr

Jan 26, 2005
Visit site
I have a B50 and called Keurig with this question before I bought mine My main concern was whether the B100 would produce a better brew than the B50. The answer I got was no, the brew mechanisms are the same so the coffee will be the same. I doubt this is literally true but it should be somewhat telling if the company itself doesn't claim that one produces a superior result. Of course I can't know if the person who answered was adequately informed, but that's the answer I got. I like my B50 just fine.

A reasonable assumption is that the B50 probably uses a higher rated pump and perhaps heating element. After all it's designed for higher volume use. It is also an older design, though, and it's quite likely that Keurig learned things in the meantime that allowed them to design a model that they could make at lower cost. The B50 does actually have features the B100 lacks, like an LCD display with clock and time for auto-turn on. It's mechanism for loading/unloading K-cups is also nicer in my opinion (I haven't seen the B100 mechanism but have read a description and based on the description agree with that person's opinion that the B50 is nicer in that regard).

Anyhow, I think the only thing that could justify the higher cost of the B100 would be if it produced better coffee, or if you plan the kind of volume use you'd see in an office. Of course, even a B50 might work just fine in that application, who know? It's just too early to know what it's longevity would be with heavy use. The build quality looks good to me, though I can't tell anything about the kind of pump or heating elelment used, and those are the critical factors in longevity.

Darryl

JDuella

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
At our office we picked up a Keurig AND a KCup Vending Machine! So brilliant for office use! Who really wants to clean out coffee pots in the break room sink? The KCup Vending Machine is amazing as well, offering up to 25 flavors at one time, pin code, cash, and card payment options, and overwhelming savings over the past coffee pot makers that were always getting dumped out and remade by employees. The best part? I can buy super-cheap Keurigs for use in my home Keurig! Yeah, I'm a bit obsessed with Keurig, too...
Multi-Max Vending Machine for K-Cups®

Corvuscoffee

Dec 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Visit site
Hello!I just wanted to put in my two cents on this issue. I do agree that the Keurig is convenient; however, when making the decision to purchase one, there are several more things to take into consideration. First, you'll never have fresh coffee. I do a lot of cuppings and am always comparing different methods of brewing on a professional level. Ground coffee, no matter the packaging technology, degrades fairly significantly within 24-36 hours. Even a 2% oxygen content on the package can cause a huge degradation in the laconic compounds which are responsible for flavor.

The only way to have truly fresh coffee is to buy freshly roasted beans and grind it fresh. The other thing to weigh into your decision is that the amount of waste you are generating is vastly more than if you purchase fresh coffee by the bag from a local roaster. Each cup of coffee is going to have almost an equal amount of waste, in terms of weight, as it will used coffee grounds. Also, you will be paying almost $38 a pound for your coffee. In my opinion, if you are going to pay this much for coffee to make at home, you should invest in even a cheap burr grinder and buy high-end artisan coffee.

The Keurig is convenient, and I don't want to persuade someone from buying it who would otherwise not have time to make coffee in the morning, I just wanted to make bring some other points to the discussion!

edit: Forgot to mention any sort of alternative for people who are the only coffee drinker in the house- Aeropresses Rule!!

Best!
Phil

Last edited:

mopleez

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
My little Keurig Mini and I are celebrating our 2nd anniversary in 9 days! I love it, being the only coffee drinker in my house. Most of the time I brew my plain 'ol grocery store coffee using the My K-Cup accessory. But here's 'da bom - also bought a Medelco replacement filter for the My K-Cup. It's much larger than the one that comes with the My K-Cup - and rinses easier too - Allows me to make a 12 oz. cup, suitably strong. Using the My K-Cup is still much easier than using a conventional coffee maker. Makes me happy!

-Phil
(Using Tapatalk)