Keurig single cup brewers?

mpkelley20

Sep 24, 2004
Visit site
I bought one of these beacuse my wife was yelling at me about the smell of roasting my own coffee and the mess I would make when grinding and brewing coffee.

I must say that I am very impressed with the quality of the cup produced. There are so many brands of coffee to try (Green Mountain being one of them) that it is easy to find one you can really live with. Plus, they now make an attachement that you can use your own ground coffee. I think it is a $15 item to buy and it supposedly works as well as the K-Cups.

My only gripe with it is that their idea of a large cup of coffee is 7.25 ounces which, when actually added to a cup, doesn't amount to much. For some people, not being able to control the strength during the brewing process may be a bad thing but perhaps that can be accomplished thorugh the add on mentioned above.

I know it is not a "purist" cup of coffee but for those of us only wanting one cup at a time, these things are tough to beat.

whfite

Oct 28, 2004
Florida
Visit site
Keurig has its place

You know, it is all about what you value most at any given moment.

I have a Keurig and I also have a Technivorm with a good grinder. Ask me which makes the better coffee and the answer is simple: the TV, by a factor of several.

OTOH, when I am in a bloody hurry to get out the door, or I want a quick glass of iced coffee, just shoving a K-cup in the machine and punching the button really meets my needs quite nicely.

If you choose your K-cups carefully (Tully's is best, IMO), you'll get coffee way better than the usual Maxwell-House-and-Mr.-Coffee brew. It will be hot, fast, and incredibly convenient. When you want the real deal, use a better method and you'll get even better coffee.

But caution: Keurig is the only single-serving device worthy of your consideration. Flavia, maybe. Senseo, Tassimo, et al, are not worth the time, effort, or money. There's a reason Keurig costs more...

Alice2

Nov 18, 2006
Visit site
Re: Keurig has its place

whfite said:
But caution: Keurig is the only single-serving device worthy of your consideration. Flavia, maybe. Senseo, Tassimo, et al, are not worth the time, effort, or money. There's a reason Keurig costs more...

The Bunn My Cafe pod brewer is also worth the time, effort, and money. The cheaper pod brewers all seem to have their problems / issues.

Keurig does a terrific job of making a quick, fresh cup of coffee, like in 30 seconds. It's perfect if that's what you want, and you will find a pretty wide variety of coffee tastes to choose from. I believe the lowest priced version, the B40 is all you'd ever want because it only brews at 7.25 oz. strength, and the smaller size is a joke it's so small, and the larger sizes are pointless because it is a rare K-Cup that makes a strong enough cup of coffee at the higher water volume settings.

I posted about the My K-Cup elsewhere here, but in my opinion it doesn't work very good and will not do much for getting you a stronger cup of coffee than the pre-made K-Cups. I know other people have successfully used it after getting used to it and think it's fine.

I highly recommend the Keurig but not really for primarily using your own coffee -- for that I'd recommend the Bunn where you can stick your coffee in the pod holder in a folded #2 T-Sac and it works just as well as pre-made pods, and you don't have to 'do' anything to the podholder if you also want to use pre-made pods.

The taste / variety of pod coffee far surpasses Keurig coffee, but the Keurig is very good. I have both, one for work and one for home, and that's the only kind of coffeemaker I want ever now, unless I have to make a thermos to go sometime.

Alice2

Nov 18, 2006
Visit site
EDIT: The "My K-Cup" is the name of the device they make for the Keurig for using your own coffee. I didn't realize it wasn't very clear from the context of people's posts.

(ps where's your EDIT button on this forum?)

My experience with my k-cup is through a friend. She has it and we brought some coffee, which apparently had been ground in the grocery store on the espresso setting or something like that. In any case, it was finer than the pre-ground coffee in a bag that she had. The finer ground coffee made a great cup of coffee - lots of body, rich taste. I was surprised that a k-cup could taste that good. Some k-cups can be a bit watery I think, especially on the big cup settings.

coffeefanaddict

Sep 16, 2006
Albuquerque NM
Visit site
one cup at a time

I really like my keurig. I have had it for a year and a half. If I need a quick cup no problem, if a guest would like decaf instead of some from my pot of regular-no problem, cup of tea-well you get the idea. Putting my own roasted coffee in at a finer grind yields a good cup too.

GloriaJeans

Dec 4, 2006
Visit site
richedie said:
Hey all, anyone try one of these single cup brewing systems by Keurig? I talked to a person today while waiting for coffee at our local shop who now swears by this system. The problem I see is that it is pre-ground coffee....

http://www.greenmountaincoffee.com/...ingle-Cup-Coffee-Brewers&Collection=SingleCup

-Rich

Although these look nice, they seem a bit expensive. Nowadays you can get a 12-cup programmable coffee maker for $100-150. I recommend shopping around and looking through some online catalogs. Especially now that the holidays are coming, you may be able to get a great deal.

It isn't just about the money. You have to consider how you use it. I've given away half a donzen Kuerig machines as presents (don't have one myself - we're an espresso household) and they are still in use in 5 of 6 households. The place it works best is when people don't like the same thing or don't all get up at the same time.

If you like French roast and someonee else in your household likes pumpkin flavored coffee (eww) you make everyone happy without having to put your coffee pot in the autoclave between pots to get the stink out.

Gloria Jean's sells k-cups, too (at least on-line).