Kicking around the idea....Christian coffeehouse

kellyco

Mar 30, 2004
Northern Virginia
Visit site
I have been kicking around the idea of opening a coffeehouse in Northern Virginia. I have a million questions and have just started researching/preplanning/brainstorming and just wanted to put out the concept I have. I am looking to open a Christian coffeehouse...no not shoving Christianity down your throat along with your espresso...but a gathering place for Christian believers outside of the traditional settings, i.e. church, bible studies, etc. Just ideas but ...food, coffee, tea, books, music, art, fellowship...yadda...yadda. Is there anyone with some knowledge/experiece with this? Any input will be helpful.

Thanks!

"When you believe you must, you will."

granitamix

Apr 2, 2004
Spokane, WA
Visit site
That's actually not a bad idea. If the recent "Passion" craze hasn't proved that there are enormous amounts of religious people out there looking for outlets, I don't know what will.

Depending on your community (do your research!) I say go for it - sounds clever to me!

sketchbook

Apr 2, 2004
portland
Visit site
adobe posters site? are you referring to the seekers site? that seekers site is terrible for sure. they have some good photos and pr stuff on there but the site itself is hideous. i do design for a living so i know my coffeeshop will have a great looking website :-D

kellyco

Mar 30, 2004
Northern Virginia
Visit site
thanks!

Thanks Sketchbook for the site! I really appreciate all the input on this Christian coffehouse. I have been visiting other coffehouses in the N.Virginia area some are run of the mill others are not so run of the mill. I have finally put voice to my vision and have asked others for help. Boy do I have some work ahead of me...but bring it on! If anyone runs across some other sites I would love to see them also. I am making a not so short list of coffeehouses I would like to visit to check out (including out of state) Thanks Again!

Kellyco

Carl_Livesay

Jan 18, 2004
Maryland
Visit site
Gathering Grounds Coffee House

We just opened a Coffee House very similar to your description in beautiful downtown Westminster, Maryland.

Although it is not specifically "Christian" it boasts a very similar message. I spent about 4 months full time doing the research about coffee houses, layout, equipment etc. I will be glad to share the information with you if you would like to stop by our coffee house.

It is called the Gathering Grounds Coffee House
www.GatheringGroundsCoffee.com

Free WiFi
Free Bluetooth
Free wireless printer usage
Live Music most nights

Stop by and give us a look. We have been doing quite well.

I would love to hear from you.
Carl Livesay
owner

moonmonkey

Jun 22, 2004
Illinois
Visit site
Kellyco~

I helped with the start-up and managed a Christian coffeehouse in Indianapolis last year before starting my own coffee roaster. If you have any direct questions feel free to email me and I will give you as much info as I can. In the process of starting the coffeeshop last year I flew all over the U.S. checking out coffeeshops including Christian coffeeshops and discovering why they succeeded or failed. As a matter of fact one of the shops I checked out was Jammin Java in Vienna, Virginia. Heard of it? Anyhow, here is the website for the coffeeshop I worked at last year www.thehousewebsite.com. Let me know if I can help you in anyway, including music. I booked about 5 shows a week while I was there.

~Trevor
[email protected]

ralphshade

Jul 28, 2004
Madison, WI
Visit site
kellyco said:
I have been kicking around the idea of opening a coffeehouse in Northern Virginia. I have a million questions and have just started researching/preplanning/brainstorming and just wanted to put out the concept I have. I am looking to open a Christian coffeehouse...no not shoving Christianity down your throat along with your espresso...but a gathering place for Christian believers outside of the traditional settings, i.e. church, bible studies, etc. Just ideas but ...food, coffee, tea, books, music, art, fellowship...yadda...yadda. Is there anyone with some knowledge/experiece with this? Any input will be helpful.

Thanks!

"When you believe you must, you will."

Hi,
I just joined the forum and found this thread. Hopefully you are making some progress. i am the Roastmaster at kaldi's Best Sustainable Coffees, and the former Treasurer for The Catacombs Coffeehouse here in Madison, WI. If I, or Kaldi's, can be of any help, please feel free to contact me.

[email protected]

ahhyeah

Aug 1, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Starting a Christian Coffee Shop

I am also planning a Christian Coffee Shop. I want it done right so I am taking my time planning. I run a privately owned business now and I'm going to college so I know a few things about business, it's coffee that I don't know about. And my business is Used Cars, so my customers don't spend time in my business like a coffee shop, so any advice, links, comments would be great. I also have a forum running on my website if you would like to write here or there. Thanks

Douglas Porter
www.HigherGroundsCoffeeShop.com

Aug 9, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I am so excited to have found this forum and this posting regarding Christian Coffee Houses. This has been a vision of mine since 1999 and have found a partner who also shares this vision.

I would be interested in any information you could give me.

Currently our church has taken over an old theater in a small downtown setting. This has been an awesome work of God to place us here as many who come in to see what has happened to the theater would NEVER set foot in a traditional church. Many lives are being transformed because of this.

There is a ton of foot traffic and I feel that if we added a coffee shop in this location it would bring even more people in.

This is still very much in the infancy stage, but we feel God is moving and we want to move with him.

ralphshade

Jul 28, 2004
Madison, WI
Visit site
Christian Coffeehouse

Where in Michigan are you? If you are ever in the Madison, WI area I'd like to show you around The Catacombs and introduce you to a few people. This sounds very much like the same kind of ministry.

dsal

Jun 4, 2004
Visit site
Christian Coffee house

What a great idea, Kelly! If you are looking to add Christian coffee houses to your visit list, you might want to check out Cafe D'Vine in Huntington, Indiana. I have never been there, however my daughter has a friend who goes to Huntington College (Christian college), and she mentions going to the Cafe D'Vine quite a bit. I think it is attached to a church. I couldn't find much info about them on the web, but I know my daughter's friend loves this place.

Hope you succeed in this endeavor!!

dsal

tronno

Heaven, Coffee, and More

There is a coffee shop in Stafford called Heaven, Coffee, and More.

http://heaven-coffee.com/

I'm a believer in God and Jesus, and a religious guy, but... when I set foot in this place about 1 year ago, it just seemed quite... churchy.

There was this big-ass lit-up cross on the wall and a rack full of religious books. I felt like they were trying to push their religion on me, even though I don't remember if anything was said to me. It's just the first impression I got.

Needless to say, I've never been back. Sure, the coffee may have been good. (I don't remember if it was good or bad - just remember the "church" decor.) But I want to be in a place where I feel I can relax.