Knob Coffee Grinder

dantesawakening

Aug 27, 2021
Fairfax VA
Visit site
Hi guys, I am a product designer and, I just graduated. I and my mates develop a new kind of coffee grinder, and we launch it on Kickstarter at the end of the month. I want to share the project with you and I wonder about your ideas about the grinder. Me and my mates worked on it really hard, and create unique designs and mechanisms.

https://www.knobgrinder.com/

4d563a_7655d79a2c454c7491718bc0055e0ce5~mv2.gif

maile.webp

Last edited:

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I look fwd to manual grinding every day as it makes the espresso process far more involved and worthwhile. Interesting concept, but based on videos I've seen it must be cranked CCW, which might pose a problem for some users. Being dominant right-handed I know that sort of thing would throw me out of rhythm. Suppose some might get used to it and be fine after a bit. Another thing I will say that yes some hand grinders likely have some axle flex which would affect alignment, but some types are very well built to prevent that. I've used a 'handful' of manual grinders over the years and my current one, which will surely be the last, is insanely well built and I imagine it's impossible to have any negative movement with any component in it. Have been so impressed with the build/grind quality I have no reason to even consider anything else, manual or electric. Hope you guys do great with it as there are plenty of solid options these days.

dantesawakening

Aug 27, 2021
Fairfax VA
Visit site
I look fwd to manual grinding every day as it makes the espresso process far more involved and worthwhile. Interesting concept, but based on videos I've seen it must be cranked CCW, which might pose a problem for some users. Being dominant right-handed I know that sort of thing would throw me out of rhythm. Suppose some might get used to it and be fine after a bit. Another thing I will say that yes some hand grinders likely have some axle flex which would affect alignment, but some types are very well built to prevent that. I've used a 'handful' of manual grinders over the years and my current one, which will surely be the last, is insanely well built and I imagine it's impossible to have any negative movement with any component in it. Have been so impressed with the build/grind quality I have no reason to even consider anything else, manual or electric. Hope you guys do great with it as there are plenty of solid options these days.
Thank you for your reassuring comment! It got everyone's attention, so we actually add an explanation on our FAQ table about that comment earlier. We used Italian Burr Company, Italmill’s standard coated 47 mm conical burr with the prototype. As you can see in the video, the prototype turns counterclockwise, we're going to order a special burr, to create a new mirrored version of it. The diameter will be the same but, it will turn clockwise.