La cimbali espresso machine

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
So what do you want to know, and about which ones?

Lets look at a traditional machine first. Right now there are really only 2 machines that I would go with. The M29 Selectron and the M32 Dosatron. If you’re not limited on space I would suggest the Tall Cup versions. That way you can place small, medium, or large cups under the group if you want to save time making drinks.

The only difference between a M29 and a M32, the M32 comes with a display that allows you to set each button for the groups. This way you can make more accurate shots. It also gives information about your machine cycles, information about each group, and allows for you to set a opening and closing time if you want your machine to shut off and automatically start up in the morning.

If you don't care about the display and want to set your shots by sight, I would suggest the M29 Selectron. It has the same features as the M32 but without the display. Both machines also allow you to change the temperature of the group head. By adding or subtracting a pipe you can increase or decrease the temperature of the group head.

Both machines have replaceable inner boilers so if you live in an area with hard water, you can replace them if they are to badly damaged by scale buildup. From a technical standpoint, both of these machines are really easy to repair.

Changing group gaskets are a cinch. Just remove 3 bolts and the collar will come off, and all you have to do is pull the old gasket out and put a new one on. No more having to break you back trying to dig out gaskets that are hard as a rock. Side panels are only held in place by a single screw, the front as 4 and so does the back. The pump is easily accessible as is about everything else. So maintenance is a breeze.

Now Super Automatics are a different story all together. We have 3 different generations on the market right now. The M52 Dolcevita, M3 Superbar, and the M2. The M52 is the oldest and to my knowledge and are trying to be replaced by the M3 Superbar series. Go to ww.lacimbali.com to have a look at the old vs. the new.

There are several different versions. I would suggest a M3 over the M52 any day of the week. I have worked on several M52, they do make great espresso but the machine is very complicated and if you don't keep proper maintenance the repair bill can add up very quickly.

The M2 is not displayed on the website yet. This is a totally redesigned espresso machine. It is based on worm gear so there is less of a chance of it breaking down. With this machine we do sacrifice a little espresso quality for reliability. Trust me when I say this machine is reliable. As far as I know, my distributor is currently back ordered on this toy!

If you’re looking at a super auto then you might want to think about investing in a M2. PM me if you would like more information on it.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Yes it is, but it is also built to last. One of my clients is using a M30 Dosatron 3 group, which has I believe 9 years of service. The outside is dinged up, and looks like it might need a touch up. The inside though has been well maintained and I am hoping to see another 3 to 5 years of good services. I would love to see it go another 9 but that is going to require some real TLC and a lot of pampering.

A lot of people tell me Cimbali's are way to expensive or to far out of their price range. I tell them when they are on their second Nuova Simonelli going on to the third they really should have got a Cimbali. Yah so it's a third of the price, but how much have you dropped having me try to extend its life!

valcs

Mar 12, 2004
CA, USA
Visit site
well i have to say that i am lucky, because the labor cost in central europe are low and also people are very resourcefull, so when i bought my mashine for 800 EUR cca 3 years ago (that time it was 800 USD) the complete refurbishment costed like 150 EUR and we changed the pump too. we kept the old one as a spare part and for another 5 EUR we refurbished that too. so basically for under 1000 USD I had a cimbali like new!!!!

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Well to overhaul a Cimbali in the US your looking around $1000 - $1500 in parts and labor. Heck a procon pump runs up to $150. The other problem is every thing keeps going up in cost.

pstam

Jan 7, 2005
China
Visit site
Gavin said:
I wanted to get some opinions on the La Cimbali espresso machines and how they compare to other machine in the U.S. market

We are using the San Marco and ECM. They all works very well. For the San Marco, it will give you a surprice after you buy it. At the begining, you may not familiar to it, but later you will love it.

Jaguar? Is that an Ad.? I saw many people using it and making terrible coffee. You know, I sometime have to drink more than 20 cups of espresso during adjusting a machine. But I cound not even drink one cup from those guys.

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
I like both the Cimbali machines and their sister Faema brand, and would definitely use either if I were starting a shop in an area with good service coverage.

The problem with this brand here is not the product, but rather their method of distribution in the USA. There is no central country office for Cimbali, and they have a small distributor network with very strict territories. As a result, you had better be happy getting married to your local dealer, because they will be with you for the life of your machine (unless you move).

We have spoken to shop owners in specific territories that had disagreements or otherwise had concerns with their local providers (cost / availability of parts) they have switch to another brand, even though they may have liked the Cimbali machine.

Admittedly, I am not certain what changes have been made since their export manager left last year, but one of the cases mentioned above happened in December in the Great Lakes area.

I suggest that you be very comfortable with your local territory dealer and find references that have worked with them for a few years.

Amini

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
hi, I have a question...I want to buy a coffee machine and want to know which one is better between cimbali M22 & cimbali M27 ?! And also I want to know about their diference and prices... I would thank you if you help me.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Holy cow, you my man have done something only Jesus has done. You have revived this thread from the dead! Before I answer your question next time please try to start a new post rather then pulling this old dusting thread from its grave where it was happily slumbering away eternity.

As to the M22 and M27 I think both machines have been discontinued. Cimbali has been working hard at replacing their aging line up with new models. The M29 was replaced with the M24. How Cimbali uses the numbers in their nomenclature is beyond me. All told I would tell you The M24 is a revised M29 with a new touch pad interface. The M39 replaced the old M31 Dosatron. If you truly want to know more visit Cimbali - produzione macchine caffè espresso - espresso coffee machines maker to see the specs on each machine.

The M24 is the middle road machine for Cimbali, its for those who don't need all the bells and whistles.

The M39 is for the person who wants it all and wants to play and tinker with every aspect of their espresso. This guy makes your run of the mill PID machine look like childs play!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Holy cow, you my man have done something only Jesus has done. You have revived this thread from the dead! Before I answer your question next time please try to start a new post rather then pulling this old dusting thread from its grave where it was happily slumbering away eternity.

Hello CCafe

I had to laugh when I read this!

It's great to read your comments again.

This must be a day for shaking off the dust.

Rose