La Cimbali M30 Bistro 2

MapDog

Nov 13, 2005
Michigan, USA
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a used M30 Bistro 2 machine. I am somewhat crossing my fingers that is still works as it was built over 7 years ago. Anyways, it did not come with any of the manuals and the Cimbali website does not seem to have any downloadable version (or any info on the M30 Bistro). Do any of you know where I can get some of the basic manuals like installation and maint?

Thanks in advance for your help!

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
An installation manual comes with the machine. It covers just the basics and nothing else. There is no maintenance manual that comes with it. I might be able to dig out a manual for a M29 that I have on hand. Other wise I can call around and see if any of my contacts have one.

MapDog

Nov 13, 2005
Michigan, USA
Visit site
I had a feeling that not much of a manual actually came with the machine, and that is probably why Cimbali does not have anything downloadable from the website.

If you can dig up something that would be great!

Could you check my thoughts. Generally, turning on an espresso machine is rather simple. Hook up the water line and get the water flowing. Then plug in the machine. Then turn it on.

Is this correct?

Once it is on, how long should I wait before making espresso and steaming milk?

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
The Bistro is a good machine. I just got done rebuilding one that was 6 years old. It works great. If the machine came with a stainless steel water hose and it is still connected you’re in luck. Otherwise you will require one with a 90-degree bend for connection. The drain hose simply screws on to the bottom of the drain tray collector.

Cimbali's are voltage specific, so you cannot simply plug it in and go. You will need a multi-meter to check your voltage. Take the drain pan out, and there will be a black lid held in place by 2 #4 metric Allan screws. Inside is the brain and you will find a connector that allows you to change the voltage from 200 - 220 - 240volts. Whatever range you find in your building is what you should set it for in the box.

Next check your water pressure to the machine before you turn it on. Make sure it does not exceed 6 bars or about 90psi. If it does you need to use a pressure regulator. The power knob has 3 settings 1 off, 2 on but not heating (for filling purposes), 3 heating. There should be a manual fill knob on the right of the machine, it simply pulls out and you have to push down on it. DO NOT USE THIS TO FILL YOUR MACHINE!!! If the machine is 7 years old, you probably have a pretty good chance of breaking the manual fill system. There are quite a few parts in here that need to be replaced every 4 to 5 years. If they haven’t been well… just don’t use it until you get it replaced or rebuild it.

After it heats up (within 30 minutes but I like to wait an hour) you can use it. Now if your machine was pulled and needs repair or a good cleaning it could take longer.

MapDog

Nov 13, 2005
Michigan, USA
Visit site
This is really good information. I did some brain surgery and I cant find the connector that allows me to set the voltage. I see where the electrical cable feeds into the brains and ultimately the nob that controls the power to the machince. Is it some part of the that?

I am setting up a new receptical including a new line from my service box as the outlet for the machine so I will be very sure of the voltage and amps supplied to the machine. By the way I am assuming that the machine requires 20 amps, hopefully of 220v, does that ring a bell for you?

Also, I was planning on splitting off a waterline from under my sink that the water hose would plug into. So the pressure would be same as an ordinary kitchen sink, or what my dish washer gets. I am not sure what pressure that is, but will it suffice?
[/img][/url]