last minute advice

debbiej

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
hopefully tomorrow the ducting and gas line for my in shop roaster will start, (and be completed? :wink: )
I can still change my mind and move the roaster to my house/outdoor roasting shed. But I think putting it in the shop will be a good thing. I hope that it will make a positive impact on business. I hope it will be worth the table space we are giving up, will enable me to be at the shop more, instead of roasting at home in the evenings. if any one has any experience with roasting in a coffee shop that would help me with this last minute decision, please....let me know!

pbmac

Aug 1, 2008
Visit site
I do not have any first hand experience...but many coffee shops have in house roasters. Dunn Bros Coffee requires the shop owner to have a roaster in the store. I think it adds to the store's atmosphere...but thats just me.

Good luck with the new shop...

pat

ElPugDiablo

If you want it for show, put it in front of the shop, next to a window. If you want to roast without distraction, put it in the back of the shop where you will not be disturbed by customers and by employees thus potentially ruin your batch.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Better off going with the back of the store option. People will still see it, but customers bothering you while you are roasting is not a good thing. Either have it in it's own enclosed area, or get a shirt that visibly reads, "Don't talk to the roaster!" on the back.

... reminds me... need to roast more espresso!

debbiej

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I am having elusive contractor problems. nothing happened today, except that I called another contractor in and he can't get to the job until next week. I'm getting tired of dragging venting and propane bottle down there. I guess we'll just fire up the ambex in the shed at home. since it is being installed in a commercial location, we can't just install it without approvals from the powers that be. If I hadn't had a chaff fire once, I'd scoff. no one really knows much about coffee roaster installation, and that may be the main problem. (they don't know about chaff fires and I'm not sharing that knowlege). I've printed a lot of info from the pipe and roaster manufacturers, and handed it out to my hvac and plumbing contractors who have consulted with the state inspectors. limbo.

as far as back room roasting:
my shop is an old converted gas station. it used to have 3 rooms and 2 outside bathrooms. we remodeled and the old office is the kitchen, the double garage doors are french door ways, what used to be the work area and garage is now the bar and main seating area, and what used to be the customer waiting/service area is a smaller dining area and bathroom access to a single, larger bathroom (uni/ada). so I really don't have a back room to speak of. I'm planning to put the roaster in the smaller dining room, costing us a table and chairs.

we do have 1/3 acre, and on the property is an old fruit store. big windows. it is structurally unsound, but boy, I'd love to fix it up and put the roaster out there. it would cost more time and money than I have, but if ever I could figure a way to do it, it would be great.

but our afternoons are pretty quiet, mostly in and out customers, and I hope to roast in the afternoons. this will enable me to be there roasting instead of at home. I can keep and eye on things, be a "presence" and roast coffee.