Liability Insurance for Small Batch Roasting Business

Jemwebb

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi all.

I am on the road to starting my own roasting business here in SC Kansas. My question of the moment as I build a business plan is: Who sells small business insurance or liability insurance for coffee roaster businesses?

At this stage, I'm trying to decide on business structure, and which of 2 locations, on my home property (9.5 acres) in which to install my first small roaster. I know that insurance will play a part in it, so I want to investigate that before I commit to either. Anyone with experience in a similar venture? Did you do separate Small BOP insurance, or did you go with an umbrella policy to cover your liability?

Any resources on this would be great. I know nobody likes this aspect of the biz, but I'd rather take a look at it up front.

Thanks!
-Julia

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Most commercial insurance companies will have a policy to cover roasting businesses. I have a comprehensive plan through Farmers Insurance. You will pay roughly a $100/month.

Jayzoll

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Most commercial insurance companies will have a policy to cover roasting businesses. I have a comprehensive plan through Farmers Insurance. You will pay roughly a $100/month.

i called up the agency that write our auto/home and they hooked it up. had to write up a brief paragraph of what we are doing, got a couple funny looks and it costs about $100/month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jemwebb

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Musicphan and Jayzoll: Thank you! I had a call into my Farmer's Bureau insurance agent and he said our farm policy covers a little of the losses it as long as its not in the house. Higher costs and a different policy if I add a business use policy to cover liability and such.

He started to sweat a bit when I asked about installation in a trailer to take the whole rig to a farmer's market, and said he'd have to investigate underwriters who would take the policy in that regard, so if anyone's done that, I'd love to hear about it. It won't stop the roaster purchase, just gives me an idea as to potential challenges down the road.

Musicphan: I see you're not too far away. What part of KC are you in?

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Don't skimp on insurance... its relatively cheap in the big scheme of things. Whatever farmers market you take your rig (or simply coffee) will generally require to be listed as covered on your insurance policy. So keep that in mind when shipping insurance.

What size roaster are you thinking about installing on the trailer?

I'm based in Grandview which is a SE suburb... maybe 20-25 minutes from the heart of the city. Where will you be based out of?

Jemwebb

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
The roaster is a 1kg from Mill City Roasters (TJ-067). I'm located in Cheney, KS... about 15-20 minutes west of Wichita. Woo!

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
If I were in your shoes, I would put it in an out building so that you could tag on to your home insurance but not burn down your house if you messed it up.
Probably cheapest that way until you want to move it

Jemwebb

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Been to Reverie a few times. My favorites in Wichita, however, are Verita and Ecclesia. So far, at least. Got a few more places to try. ;)

Dodge City? Love me some Cup of Jo-Nes! I used to travel there on business frequently, and would eat and drink there as frequently as I could get away with it.

Jemwebb

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Wmark: In the end, that's what we decided.

I have a 12x16 Sturdi-Bilt shed that I'm cleaning out. Going to have to run 220 out there and will site a propane tank next to it. Insurance was fine with it either way, but they are a lot happier with the out building.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Been to Reverie a few times. My favorites in Wichita, however, are Verita and Ecclesia. So far, at least. Got a few more places to try. ;)

Dodge City? Love me some Cup of Jo-Nes! I used to travel there on business frequently, and would eat and drink there as frequently as I could get away with it.

Great - new places to try... its been a few years since i've been on Dodge City (all of passed or moved) but still have one family out there. And I will check out those shops when in Wichita... I'm always driving through at odd times so I haven't been to them all. :)

MalisDn

May 3, 2021
Visit site
Traveling is one of the greatest ways of admiring different landscapes and scenery around the world. Some people travel because of their work, others because just want to relax. Whatever the reason is, you should always insure your life before going into long trips. You never know what can happen to you, so you should always have a policy which can literally save your life and some money too. If traveling is part of your lifestyle check this site here 5 million dollar life insurance policy where I am sure you will buy yourself a great deal. If you now want to go travelling make sure to buy an insurance, from which you will definitely benefit.