Light Roasts are Making me Sick!!!

xwillx

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Hello All!

I am new to roasting and just started with a stovetop popcorn popper. The first batch I did was charcoal. The second batch was a very dark french roast, drinkable, but a little thin and a little too charred for my taste. I went lighter on my third and fourth batches, maybe city+ on the third and city on the fourth. I say that based on the appearance of the roasted beans.

Anyway, I find the lighter roasts simply nauseating. I used an Indonesian Flores for one and a Columbian for another and both simply turn my stomach. They have a dominating sour-sweet sickly smell and taste. My underlying question is, do you guys think that the roasts are not as dark as they appear due to my method? I never did reach the second crack with either of the lighter batches, but I was well into the first, and I pulled based on color. Or maybe lighter roasts are just not my personal prefrence.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
Could well be that you are roasting too quickly and it's still a bit "green" inside. sort of like trying to cook a burger at very high heat...red inside, burnt outside.

A lot of popcorn poppers are modded to roast slower, if you have not already done this, that might be worth a try. The link below will give you the necessary information to build such a controller to slow the roasts down.

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/roasting- ... corn-maker