Liquid fructose as a sweetner?

G

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone knew about sweetening coffee (or tea) with fructose? I was living in CA for a while and frequented a little tea shop (that also served iced coffees!) that was quite wonderful. I asked about their sweetener and they told me that they used fructose. Since they make your drink in front of you, I did notice that their fructose was in the form of a liquid. I have tried to make my own "fructose syrup" using granulated fructose, but I just can't seem to get the flavor (or maybe the proportions) correct. I know that they bought the mixture and then diluted it down, but I don't know how or where to purchase such a thing. Thought I would ask here, since I can't find out anywhere else!

Rowley

Mar 7, 2003
California
Visit site
Liquid sweetener is a common sweetener for alot of cafe's near my work, they primaraly use it in iced coffee. I assume because the liquid sweetener dissolves easier then sugar in iced coffee drinks.

try this for simple syrup...

Put one cup of water in a small saucepan.
Add two cups of sugar.
Heat to a boil while stirring.
Reduce heat and continue to stir until the sugar dissolves.
Cool to room temperature.
Find a clean container that will hold at least a cup and a half.
Using a funnel, pour liquid into container.
Seal and store in refrigerator indefinitely.
Use whenever a recipe calls for simple sugar or simple syrup.

here is a good reference on fructose as a sugar alternative. fructose is twice as sweet as sugar, so you can probably make it 1 to 1 with water and you probably don't need to boil it.

http://www.montrealfood.com/fructose.html

beware the dark side of fructose, especially around open flames