Living with someone that doesn't share your passion for coffee

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
My wife drinks about 2 ounces of coffee and 10 ounces of boiled milk. Ack. But she doesn't complain about the coffee. I suspect it could be cat pee and she wouldn't notice. What does that say about my coffee?

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
We can’t assure that if somebody loves you, everything you like is also like by your love ones. If your taste for that coffee is the great taste ever, then don’t expect that it is also the same taste experience with your wife. If she doesn't share your passion for coffee, lay aside your disappointment. Anyway, it differs only in both of your palate.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I can understand the situation very well.
My wife is very sensitive to Caffeine and she always drinks cheap decaffe coffee.
Now i found the way to roast great bean with lower caffeine and she loves it.
Of course she is not a coffee fanatic like i am but everytime I make coffee with my aeropress or siphon coffee maker, she asks for a cup.

It took alot of time and effort from my part but I love having coffee with my wife.... ;)

artgecko

Apr 5, 2008
Alabama
Visit site
Similar to Bardo, I have had this discussion relating to my reptle-keeping hobby... But that aside, I'm coming to this discussion as a wife that had to buy her (then boyfriend) his first coffee pot... I feel your pain. When I first went out with my (now) husband, he drank office swill happily.. Until he had my coffee, then he started to be a believer. Now we make french press at home (when we have time) and use a drip machine when we're in a rush, but he has developed an appreciation for the "good stuff" and can't drink swill any longer.

All this said, I'd go all in and make your wife the good coffee.. Take the time to explain to her that you appreciate the good stuff, why it tastes better, and try to get her to try it with just half and half / sugar instead of the sweetened creamer she is using now. She may eventually make the move to good stuff w/o the creamer she uses now, but if not, you're still only buying / using the good stuff and if she truely only drinks a few times a week, she's not using up that much more of your good coffee.

I think, perhaps, from her point of view, she may be wondering why she can't have the "good" coffee you like and /or might not understand why you dislike her stuff. If you tell her that you want to buy the coffee and that you can both use the same kind, it might simplify matters... She may think she's doing the "right thing" by finding cheaper coffee and doesn't understand why it won't taste as good. Obviously, you want to say this in a gentle way (not make her feel lesser just because she doesn't like the good stuff now or doesn't understand the difference between good and bad coffee, etc.). When I started seeing my husband (the then swill-drinker), I let him have what I was brewing, even if he didn't appreciate it then, he developed a taste for it over time.

If her concern is the price of the good coffee vs. the cheap stuff, try going a middle ground... buy something like world market (I actually use their mocha java, Sumatra, and island blend as my normal daily coffee).. This stuff is better than, say, starbucks (and is actually cheaper by the lb.), but tastes better. Then you can get the really good stuff occasionally and get her try try the "special" coffee with you. If it is super important to you to use the best quality beans that are more expensive, then just explain how important it is to you and she should be OK with it, just make sure you leave room in your budget for a "coffee fund".

Good luck!

Last edited:

Zimmy

Dec 19, 2013
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Any thoughts about a coffee subscription?...

That way you would ensure that great coffee is coming through your door and there is no need for your wife to purchase at the grocery store? There are many roasters that have subscriptions available with different delivery schedules so you get what you will consume and not waste...

I am lucky enough to have a wife that loves coffee and takes the time to understand quality... She has however cursed me for ruining her diner coffee experience... Oops...

Cheers!

BlueMoods

Feb 1, 2014
USA
Visit site
My husband loves the smell of coffe but can't stand the taste of ANY coffee. I love the stuff, provided it's quality coffee of course. I have several coffee makers ranging form my camp fire percolator to a French press to the k-cup machine my husband just bought me today. (Thankfully he also bought the reusable cup that lets me put my own coffee in there.) He also got me a 50 cup variety pack of k-cups, all 50 different. Looks like I'm in for a few cups of not so great coffee LOL. He was trying to be nice and get me things I'd appreciate so, I will appreciate ever cup of it, even if it tastes like sewer sludge if he's home when I try a bad one.

Now we also have and Insinkerator (on demand near boiling water instantly at the sink.) so naturally he though instant coffee would be great with that thing. We went rounds over that. I don't do instant.

janry

Dec 16, 2013
Nashville, TN
Visit site
We had a moment this morning. We had breakfast at a place run by one of the local roasters. I wanted some beans from Mexico and my wife knew that and knew this roaster normally carries them. I looked at the first bag of Mexican beans and saw the roast date was 9 days ago and told my wife I was going to pass. We went and ordered breakfast at the counter and she turned around an moved the bag of beans at the front and pulled out the bag behind it and pointed to me it had a roast date two days ago. Progress!

James_Parsons

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
My wife hates the taste of coffee but is absoluetly addicted to the smell...which is kinda win win for me because it means I don't have to share....however, she does often insist on taking my cup and sniffing it until it gets cold.....i picked a weird one.

montre

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
My wife hates the taste of coffee but is absoluetly addicted to the smell...which is kinda win win for me because it means I don't have to share....however, she does often insist on taking my cup and sniffing it until it gets cold.....i picked a weird one.

You both must be a very cute couple. :grin:
I had heard somewhere that sharing a cup of coffee/tea actually increases the love between the lovers/couples. I wish that one day when I will marry a girl who loves coffee, I won't let her make her own cup of coffee. Instead, I'll share my cup of coffee with her.

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
This is HUGE!

My wife is going to take a 1 hour class in brewing with the Chemex with me at a local coffee shop/roaster.

Good for you! Out of all the brewing methods I have tried, I like Chemex brewing the best.
The true Chemex filters are a little pricey, so I purchased the Coava cone(now Able cone)Welcome
I use a Hario kettle. I usually have to brew a good amount for son and daughter too.
(my wife loves the smell and really loves coffee ice cream, but not a chance, will she drink coffee!).
So I grind it coarse grind, so I can get a good brew time. May take a while to master the brewing technique,
But well worth it! Enjoy the class!

janry

Dec 16, 2013
Nashville, TN
Visit site
Out of all the brewing methods I have tried, I like Chemex brewing the best

I've been using the Chemex for about 6 months and love it but I'm self-taught, mostly relying upon the internet for my instruction. I'm sure there are one or more things I could do better so the reason I'm taking the class. I'm anxious to taste how the coffee from someone else's Chemex pot taste compared to what I make. One issue I have is I can't get the sides of the filter to seal well to the pot if I pre-rinse the filter. It is fine if I don't pre-rinse so I'd like to see and question a barista as to the proper technique.

But the great thing is how eager my wife jumped in when I told her I was signing up. She doesn't normally jump in my activities so that she volunteered for this tells me she is beginning to enjoy the coffee more and wants to learn.

Mhippo

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
I got my wife to switch from instant coffee with milk to lattes I make for her. It was a long grueling process, going through filter coffee off the shelf, than ho me ground, then home roasted, and eventually latte... She's grateful for it, and recently she had a cup of filter coffee and thought it tasted funny...