Looking for burr grinder

jormun

Oct 18, 2006
Visit site
Does anyone have any recommendations for a burr coffee grinder? I'm not trying to spend more than $50 (less if possible, I'm on a college student's income), but I'm willing to spend a little money on quality. I've never owned a decent coffee grinder so I don't know what to look for.
I'll be using it almost exclusively for espresso, and maybe the occassional drip coffee.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Burr Grinder!!!

I was in the same situation about 1 year ago. I didn't want to spend more than $50, so I settled on a Cuisinart grinder that's nearly identical to the Krups you're considering. Problem is they don't grind worth a crap for decent espresso, and that's all I grind for. I had to grind on the finest setting and tamp with ALOT of pressure just to get a 12-14 second shot and the taste left something to be desired. I cleaned it really well and got a refund. I did alot of research on grinders in the $150 range and it came down to 2. The Capresso Infinity and the Solis Maestro Plus. After looking at the build quality, reviews, features, etc. I went with the Infinity. I bought the brushed chrome model for $140+tax, but the ABS plastic model can be had for $90. They're identical except for the housing. The metal units have a zinc housing that offers a little less static and a beefier feel, but they operate and perform the same. From reviews I've seen even the plastic housing units have no problems with static. The Infinity is well built, has really nice conical burrs that have excellent upper/lower support (a problem with the Maestros), is super easy to clean, easy to adjust and will grind for anything you'll ever need, from coarse to powdery fine and consistent on any setting. I've had mine for about 6 months and it works great, being used 2-3 times daily. Every 1/2 pound or so I remove all parts and vacuum thoroughly and have it assembled in seconds. Another good thing is that when putting everything back together after cleaning/inspection you can go right back to the position used before. Some grinders require a bit of finesse to find the "sweet spot". After many years of use burrs will eventually wear out and require replacement. This is true with all grinders. With the Infinity, both burrs can be easily replaced for a decent price. Give the $90 Infinity a good look. You won't be disappointed. One more thing, the only complaint from some owners is the lack of settings. It offers 16 marked settings, which is fine for most grind methods. If you need to fine tune the grind for espresso simply hold the bean hopper between marked settings when grinding to fine tune it for anything you desire. Works just like a stepless grinder. Later!

Red Oak Roaster

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Burr Grinder

You may want to look at Bodum. They have a model (Antigua) that you may like, it sells for about $60-80 and well worth the cost. I have enjoyed mine for several years now.

jormun

Oct 18, 2006
Visit site
Re: Burr Grinder

Red Oak Roaster said:
You may want to look at Bodum. They have a model (Antigua) that you may like, it sells for about $60-80 and well worth the cost. I have enjoyed mine for several years now.

Does yours grind fine enough for espresso? It didn't get great reviews at coffeegeek, a lot of people said it either broke or didn't grind fine enough for espresso. I had almost settled on a Capresso 560 but if I can save $30 I might as well.

jormun

Oct 18, 2006
Visit site
derevaun said:
I hear good things about the Capresso Infinity. I use an Armin Trosser hand grinder; it produces a lot of fines.

That's an idea. There's one on ebay for $10 shipped. If nothing else it'll hold me over until I eventually decide on something better or save up for a Rocky.

Red Oak Roaster

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Does yours grind fine enough for espresso? It didn't get great reviews at coffeegeek, a lot of people said it either broke or didn't grind fine enough for espresso. I had almost settled on a Capresso 560 but if I can save $30 I might as well.

I haven't tried going that fine. It grinds perfectly for me on setting #2, I have't tried to go finer. That does get it very fine. Sorry, I have'nt made any espresso's.