Looking for Decaf

ye110man

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
I'm just a home drinker who is looking to roast myself. Is it possible to decaffinate the beans myself too? If not, are there any good sites that sell Swiss Water decaf Kona peaberry green beans?

MSGRLLC

Aug 31, 2005
Denver. Co
Visit site
deacf @ home

yeman--

Unfortunately I don't think it is possible to decaf beans on your own, Swiss Water and other chemical methods require hundreds of pounds of beans for their decaffination systems, so you may be out of luck.

As far as the decaf kona peaberry...it may be hard to track down decaf kona as the price of kona alone is very high and roasters/importers are unwilling to decaffinate such an expensive, desired bean.

My advice to you is to start your search on google...see if any roasters offer decaf Kona beans...you may find out that no one does or you may find a few that do, I haven't checked yet so I can't tell you either way.

Good luck hunting down your coffee!!!

Jeff

arondean

Dec 2, 2005
UK
Visit site
Decaf what?

Please allow me to get a little Dennis Leary about this...what is the point of decaffinated coffee? Why do people want to remove the active ingredient? On a geeky science note, the chemical used to remove the caffiene has been linked here in the UK to non-congenital heart defects.
Coffee (caffiene and all) is good folks. When I become Prime Minister...(oh yes, watch out for that) coffee will be free, even compulsory. :) Without coffee, there would be no pulse, no tackling complex problems, no reason to get out of bed. Leave the cafffiene in....ok...while I'm giving advice...here's some more...don't set fire to your feet. Ok! :)

ye110man

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Re: Decaf what?

arondean said:
Please allow me to get a little Dennis Leary about this...what is the point of decaffinated coffee? Why do people want to remove the active ingredient? On a geeky science note, the chemical used to remove the caffiene has been linked here in the UK to non-congenital heart defects.
Coffee (caffiene and all) is good folks. When I become Prime Minister...(oh yes, watch out for that) coffee will be free, even compulsory. :) Without coffee, there would be no pulse, no tackling complex problems, no reason to get out of bed. Leave the cafffiene in....ok...while I'm giving advice...here's some more...don't set fire to your feet. Ok! :)
It would be nice to be able to drink coffee at night without having to stay up.
I specifically requested Swiss Water Process decaf which doesn't use any chemicals.

For anyone who's interested, I found one site selling Kona decaf green beans.
http://www.peleplantations.com/catalog/ ... fees.htm#5