Looking for Med-Light Decaf from Small Roasters

Kilgore777

Dec 9, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum. Due to medical reasons, I can't drink caffeinated coffee on a daily basis. I do cheat a little as I am only human and a definite coffee lover!

So, since decaf is my usual, I am searching for good ones. I do not like dark roast and have found that a lot of decafs tend to be darker, even ones that are advertised as "medium" roasts.

I have tried Fabula and Storyville coffees recently and while fairly good, both are too dark. My current go-to is Presshouse Coffee's decaf which is good and reasonably priced but I am eager to branch out. My favorite caffeinated coffees tend to be African.... I really like hints of berry (like Ethiopian) and mild (not dark) chocolate notes. Looking for something both smooth and tasty.

I am open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

~T

CupaGil

May 21, 2022
Southeast USA
Visit site
I enjoy the Full City roast Costa Rican Decaf. I also drink a 50/50 blend of Full City and Full City+ roast. This is a custom roaster so you can experiment and find what you like best. Joe, the proprietor will work with you. They have some other Decafs you can try as well. Go to https://www.storehousecoffee.com/
My wife is sensitive to caffeine which affects her sleep so we tend to drink decaf after 3:00 PM.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum. Due to medical reasons, I can't drink caffeinated coffee on a daily basis. I do cheat a little as I am only human and a definite coffee lover!

So, since decaf is my usual, I am searching for good ones. I do not like dark roast and have found that a lot of decafs tend to be darker, even ones that are advertised as "medium" roasts.

I have tried Fabula and Storyville coffees recently and while fairly good, both are too dark. My current go-to is Presshouse Coffee's decaf which is good and reasonably priced but I am eager to branch out. My favorite caffeinated coffees tend to be African.... I really like hints of berry (like Ethiopian) and mild (not dark) chocolate notes. Looking for something both smooth and tasty.

I am open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

~T
Decaf's will always be a touch darker than expected due to the decaf process. I roast my decaf to the same level as my single origin coffees... which is usually a light/medium roast. When I roast decaf to the same temperature they are pretty medium/dark colored. When the beans go through the decaf process it breaks down the cell structures and they tend to darken in color real fast due to that.

Kilgore777

Dec 9, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Decaf's will always be a touch darker than expected due to the decaf process. I roast my decaf to the same level as my single origin coffees... which is usually a light/medium roast. When I roast decaf to the same temperature they are pretty medium/dark colored. When the beans go through the decaf process it breaks down the cell structures and they tend to darken in color real fast due to that.
Musicphan,

Thanks for the explanation. I suspected that decafs tended toward the darker spectrum due to the process of eliminating caffeine. I don't know if it is psychological, but they taste darker to me as well. Searching for something a bit more mellow....