Looking for start-up partner

tortillatree

Feb 8, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Visit site
I''m a highly passionate, energetic, coffee-loving, business degree graduate in Western Pennsylvania dreaming of owning my own coffeeshop. The town I''m in (Grove City, PA) is an opportunity, but I would relocate if needed. I''m looking for a larger coffeehouse setting, maybe a college town or near a large high school, a sizable place with live music and frequent events. Yes, coffee and espresso is my passion, but entertainment is what will bring the crowds. Marketing and finance are my expertise. Combine everything together, and you have a winner.

Matt

Last edited:

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Matt,

Have you considered that starting out small might be a wiser move? The banks would be more likely to loan you the difference, depending on what you have to put down.

Do you have any collateral? Have you checked into s.b.a. loans? Low interest credit card offers? An uncle that wants to put up a few grand? Check with your friends, you never know who might want to pitch in. Offer them 1% over what they get from their savings account.

Are you looking into buying an existing business? Or are you set on starting one up from scratch?

Finding a business partner is a good option. Not just for financial backing, but like you said, two heads are better than one. Good luck.

jlyon10

Super Moderator
Feb 16, 2007
Clemmons, NC
Visit site
coffee business

Hope you do well. I have been trying to break into the coffee business for about a year. I love roasting my own coffee at home and thought that this is a new trend that will be catching on so I started selling green beans on my website. I have sold some but not what I expected. I am still learning the coffee business and hope some day to travel to countries on buying trips from the coffee farms. I would also like to roast coffee some day but there is a lot to learn about that.

alsterling

Aug 11, 2006
Dana Point, CA
Visit site
Matt... I'll apologize right up front for this diatribe..... but wanted to take the opportunity to address the "profanity you used in your original post"..... PARTNER/PARTNERSHIP. :smile: You may know all of what I'm about to share, but just in case?

When I saw that it had been three years since you asked about entering what I call "partnership hell"......... I was really please that I wouldn't have to reply with partnership horror stories. As a resource, know that there actually is an attorney that specializes in the Specialty Coffee Industry. He's the legal counsel for the SCAA national office in Long Beach. At least he was last year, or the year before. As an acquaintance, I've referred others to him for coffee business counseling.

I always recommend that before entering into any business, a knowledgable attorney be contacted. Unfortunately, there are more small business horror stories than success stories about the small business newbie that actually hooked up with both a CPA and Attorney before investing their time and money. This isn't advice, but the sharing of what others, and myself, have experience in our business lives.

BTW.... The accounting side of the coffee business needs just as much attention. No one wants to be an accounting nightmare! Always contact a CPA "BEFORE" committing to an accounting package. Any good CPA will want audit trails, and a program that can be "professionally" supported by their offices.

I've done both the right way, but that was by shear luck that I took that route. It saved my partner and me thousands of dollars and much less heartache when we dissolved our corporate partnership. These are life lessons learned with heavy scaring. And that's even when you've done all the right things regarding planning, legal and accounting.

End of lecture................... Al

Last edited:

cococaffee

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
HI there, I have just joined the forum and its wonderful thanks every one for this info .
Am Afarmer and planning to roast on small scale Any body loving the idea of working direct with the farmer? we are looking for parner that can take our coffee or want to work with us and we process our coffee to their taste .

cococaffee

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
HI there, I have just joined the forum and its wonderful thanks every one for this info .
Am Afarmer and planning to roast on small scale Any body loving the idea of working direct with the farmer? we are looking for parner that can take our coffee or want to work with us and we process our coffee to their taste .