Looking for suggestions on buying a Grinder

Greg

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
Can anyone tell me what grinders are good to start grinding on your own? What should I look for in a grinder? I'm looking for something that would do a decent fast job. We drink about 4 coups a day in the mornings.

thank you all

Quink

Feb 11, 2004
Bristol UK
Visit site
If you dont want to go down the commercial grinder route, check out the solis range, they're relativly cheap and have an adjustable burr size. try to avoid the whirly blade designs, as you will have a nasty sludge in the bottom of your cups.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
too true on the blade grinders...you do not get a consistant grind and it also heats the grounds as it grinds..or should I say breaks the coffee :evil:

sumocomputers

Feb 21, 2004
Visit site
You didnt say wheter you are talking drip or espresso. I have a Baratza Solis Maestro Plus for drip, and it is perfect for that. If you want to inlcude espresso in your mix, you may want to consider a Rancilio Rocky or higher (as many have suggested). I am considering selling my Baratza and get a Rocky or maybe even a Mazzer Mini, as the Baratza isnt very convenient for dispensing espresso measures.

You are going to spend $150 on the Baratza, $300 on the Rocky, and $400 on the Mazzer.

AboutCoffee

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
Try this one

I used Grinder-doser MINI, highly recommend it.
You can buy one here:
corainc.com/Results.cfm?category=3&secondary=47

You might wanna chat with the sales rep beforehand. He was kind enough to answer my all my questions about the grinder.

I've had a number of grinders. In August I bought a Mini Mazzer for my espresso to replace the Solis Maestro Plus I gave to my wife for her drip coffee because her nearsighted mom brewed the lid on the La Pavoni grinder that we bought to replace the DeLonghi that sucked.

Anyway, I wish I had the Maestro Plus back. The Mazzer is overkill for home use, despite all the other wonderful things about the job it does grinding. It, like many other burr grinders ejects the grounds by centrigual force.

The Solis has the grounds drop out by gravity. The grounds don't get stuck in the chute so they don't get stale. There is no lid on the receptical for ground coffee so there is nothing my mother in law can dump into the brew basket. It is very adjustable from turkish to espresso to french press. It is a high quality conical burr grinder, quiet, low speed so there is low static. It has both a timer on the grinder and a button so it is great for filling a portafilter as well as grinding for drip.

It is now available in colors other than black.

timeggers

Oct 2, 2004
Illinois
Visit site
I'm strictly a French press coffee drinker and am also new to coffee grinding. I recently got the Solis Maestro Plus from amazon.com and love it, it's great. Very easy to use, durable and a very nice grind. I grind at the drip setting range and get a beautiful grind for my French press. I don't like it's French press setting as it is too coarse and makes a weak muddy cup. Remember it's always best to use the finest grind that you possibly can for your brewing methods. With the Solis Maestro Plus I can really fine tune the grind size. I am the only coffee drinker in my house and I only grind what I will brew immediately. It takes about 40 seconds to grind 3/8 cup of whole beans. The Maestro Plus is also easy to clean and very quite. About as loud as an electric pencil sharpener! I love it and highly recommend it to you! Here is the link where I got it from:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...3-5293014-1517466?v=glance&s=kitchen&n=507846

espressomaniac

Jul 8, 2004
Tacoma
Visit site
options

It depends upon how hard core you want to go, I see from the above posts, they are leaning towards the upscale line, completely ruling out the blade units. I'd say, 4 cups a day isn't much, and if you are on a budget, then go with the 15.00 blade grinder, they do the job you just have to watch how long the beans are in there otherwise it will grind it too fine. I've never had a temperature problem with one, ie. getting too hot and burning the beans, if you reach that point, then, hell yes, it's time to get something serious, but at 4 cups a day, you'll never need it. They also leave a bit of grinds under the blade area, again, 4 cups a day, you might as pull the excess from the bottom if you even notice it diminishing the quality at all.

Now, if you decide to make the jump and want to buy "one" grinder that you will use for the rest of your life, then look in the commercial market, in particular what is reccommended for decaf use, this way you get something substantial at the lower end of the commercial pricing, yet using it at home as an "average" user, it's highly unlikely you'd ever have to do anything more then replace the burrs every 5-10 years if even that, the main thing about all of them is to keep them clean to prevent the parts from clogging as well as leaving residue.

Espresso2004

Nov 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
grinders........grinderssssss. A response from Espresso2004

Although rotary grinders are not ideal because they chop the coffee they are a suitable alternative for the average coffee drinker.However if you plan to have espresso or make cappucinos or lates you need a Burr grinder for grinding the espresso bean properly.You may find that you would like to purchase the best grinder available for coffee,period. In that case as well as for espresso beverages any burr grinder a $100 or up will do.

Roman The "Espresso lover and bean adventurer"

e-mail [email protected]