Looking for the perfect beans

artgecko

Apr 5, 2008
Alabama
Visit site
Hey folks,
I''m new on these forums, but from what I''ve seen on the boards I think I''ll fit in with all of the other coffee nuts here :)

Although I, by no means, consider myself a coffee expert, I have tasted several different types of coffee and I''m pretty familiar with the different roasts, localities, etc.

That said, the coffee selection in my local area is abysmal. I can get starbucks, seattle''s best, and world market beans locally. I''ve accepted that I''ll have to order online to get anything of more quality. The only company that I''ve ordered from so far is intelligentsia roasters.

Because buying beans sight-unseen (untasted) is rather risky, I''m looking for recs. for a good company to order from that is reasonably priced. If the company offered \"sample sizes\" of their roasts / blends that would be great, as I could try the different varieties before committing to a pound.

Specifically, I''m looking for a medium roast coffee that has a very nutty aroma, \"buttery\" flavor (maybe with hints of cocoa) and good body. I''d like to avoid any coffees with a fruity or spicey taste (I really don''t care for sumatra) and/or those with no/little body. I have had luck with most south / central american beans, but these often taste \"flat\" to me. I liked intelligentsia''s arabian mocha-java, but it seemed a little too acidic for my taste.

I''d appreciate any recs. you can give me and thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Art

captainbrew

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
give Guatemala or Nicaraguan coffee's a try if you want a single origin coffee. I'm not sure what Sumatran coffee you tried but they are usually pretty full-bodied, but I guess the low acidity could make it seem kinda flat. Its always worth a shot to blend central-american and indonesian coffee for a well rounded coffee.

Dale

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
try this site

try ordering from www.marltoncoffee.com before I started roasting my own I would order from this guy in New Jersey. he has single orgins, blends, decaf, and flavored coffees. What I like about his site was with every order you got a free half pound of roasted coffee to try his selection of the month. I would always order Papa new Guinea, nicaraguan, costa rica or yeman.

or you could invest in a coffee roaster and do it your self.. its easy fun and you can experiment with your own blends. I would suggest starting out with an Iroast 2. you can order them from his site and you get free green beans with your order... I think I got 5 pound 10 1/2 lbs bags

Hope this helps in your quest for a good cup of coffee.

Dale

jlyon10

Super Moderator
Feb 16, 2007
Clemmons, NC
Visit site
Home roasting

I agree with the coment about home roasting. It is a great hobby and a lot of fun and with experimentation you can get exactly what you want and it is fresher also. I sell green beans on my website. I roast mine on the Fresh Roast Plus 8. It is inexpensive and a good one to start with.

artgecko

Apr 5, 2008
Alabama
Visit site
Thanks for the replies and info.

Not sure if I want to try home roasting yet...I'd like to really get a handle on what I like before I head in that direction.

I did like the body of the sumatra, but not the "spicyness" of it...the two types I tried tasted very much like black pepper (maybe they were grown near it?). If sumatras are not typically like that, I might try another.

Thanks again!
Art

carriebaby

Apr 22, 2008
chicagoland
Visit site
I adore jamaican blue mountain coffee and sometimes find it a little light. There is a company in canada linaepicure that does a dark roast of JBM... they''re listed on ebay.. I''ve ordered both their JBM roasts and have yet to try their dark... but their prices are great.

Coffeeexpert

Jun 29, 2008
USA
Visit site
[quote:ba5ac1a7de=\"artgecko\"]Specifically, I''''m looking for a medium roast coffee that has a very nutty aroma, \\\"buttery\\\" flavor (maybe with hints of cocoa) and good body. I''''d like to avoid any coffees with a fruity or spicey taste (I really don''''t care for sumatra) and/or those with no/little body. I have had luck with most south / central american beans, but these often taste \\\"flat\\\" to me. I liked intelligentsia''''s arabian mocha-java, but it seemed a little too acidic for my taste. [/quote:ba5ac1a7de]

Brazilian Cerrado matches your description perfectly.