looking to buy a used espresso machine

Javashot

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
There are two used espresso machines that I am looking at and would love any information on that I can get. One is a two group Sorrento that is about four years old but hasn''t been used for about two years. The other is a two group manual Simonelli that doesn''t look too good but works.

Any advice or recomendation on either of these?

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Who is selling the machines, how were they stored, were they repaired before entering storage or just removed from counter and stored? Buying used espresso machines can be risky. Even riskier if they have sat around for extended period of time with water in the pipes and boiler. I have found in Iowa that most machines that sit for more then a year end up going back on my table to be repaired from water scaling up sensitive area's.

DavesLT

Nov 6, 2005
Missouri
Visit site
CCafe is absolutely correct. In addition, I might add that you should be certain that even if both of them are in perfect working condition today, you will eventually need to replace gaskets, valves, heating elements, etc. So it's very important that the machine you choose have a good, well stocked local supplier of replacement parts. A good service department would be a plus too.

stefano65

Aug 15, 2004
Elmira OR
Visit site
I'm not trying here to be negative just to be and I don't mean to offend anybody
but my suggestion for whatever is worth:

ALWAYS be very careful buying USED commercial equipment
unless is sold by an espresso repair or dealer and not a generic restaurant equipment ( no offense or stereotyping here) but I've seen in 9 years a lot of machines sold used that apparently somebody when trough them and didn't even replace the grouphead gasket
only clean the outside of it to make it look shiny

I will ask:
was the machine use with a water softener, if so was recharge periodically
was the machine service as well on a regular base
did they open the boiler and look inside fro scale
and finally what kind of warranty do they offer

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Good luck finding someone who will offer a warranty on a uses espresso machine. Further more the warranty on a new espresso machine is a joke as well.

Espresso machines are getting like cars, with proper PM's and filter/soften water you machine is most likely not going to start developing problems until its 3 or 4 years old. Long after the original warranty is dead.

DavesLT

Nov 6, 2005
Missouri
Visit site
CCafe said:
Good luck finding someone who will offer a warranty on a uses espresso machine. Further more the warranty on a new espresso machine is a joke as well.

Espresso machines are getting like cars, with proper PM's and filter/soften water you machine is most likely not going to start developing problems until its 3 or 4 years old. Long after the original warranty is dead.

We sell our used machines with a 30 day warranty. I also rebuild and test them thoroughly first. But then, I don't sell many used machines because I'll only take them in trade ups from one of my existing customers, and I know the machine already (so please don't contact me if you want to buy or sell one).
I agree, a properly maintained good quality traditional machine can go 3-4 years before it needs any professional service.

stefano65

Aug 15, 2004
Elmira OR
Visit site
Same here
any used equipment that I rebuild
I stand behind it with a six months warranty
however if is a consignment and the owner doesn't want to spend any money
before I even agree to be the consignee i will make an estimate so the future buyer will know what is money is buying