Looking to get into the Coffee Industry

jaunecitrine

Nov 28, 2021
Gatineau, Canada
Visit site
Hi to all,

As I previously suggested in my introduction post, my intent is to create a new coffee brand.
I am a graphic designer and coffee occupies a good chunk of my daily routine.

As dumb as it may sound, I’d like to create a high caffeine content blend that gives you that sort of kick in the nuts, similar to what and/or superior to Starbuck’s North Blend. What would be your suggestions of single origins I could try to incorporate into my blend?

I bought one of those electric coffee roasting ‘Crockpots’ on amazon that can roast up to 400g of green beans at a time. I bought on amazon a variety pack of unroasted beans from Green Coffee Co. Until now I really do enjoy from that pack, beans from Oaxaca/Mexico. What is the next affordable upgrade to this kind of setup?

To bring my product to market, my goal is to first create Public Opinion Researches amongst friends and family, then I would introduce my own samples to local restaurants free of charge in order for my to gather enough information to decide if there is demand for the kind of product I want to bring to market. I bought a pack of 50 16oz with Degassing holes to distribute my samples. What are your criterias to evaluate your samples?

Everything would be at first be sold online.

Your insights, advices are really appreciated. I really am humble towards this new adventure.
Also, I'm from Quebec/Canada.

Thank you thank you thank you.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I have some advice for you . If you are serious about getting into the business you need to either get a job in the industry or hire a consultant. I have spent my entire adult life in the coffee business...can't imagine doing anything else. Let us know how you make out.

Sep 13, 2021
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
Hello, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm starting a coffee shop/e-commerce coffee shop. I'm not in the process of identifying 3PL shipping, I've been in touch with this company to get it set and all other stuff since our physical store launch is on hold since I had some hiccups with my contractor.

Anyway, to answer your question, Public Opinion is a great idea. That's the first thing I did when I started. But I went with a small focus group since my friends and family have different views about coffee. For the criteria I think the most important things are:

-The aroma and taste of the coffee should be detectable, but not too strong.
-It should have a light body and noticeable acidity (pH 3).
-There should be no signs of bitterness or sourness.

Also the presence of any off-flavors. These can include things like cardboard, sourness, mustiness, metal-y notes (often associated with overroasted beans). If you don't identify these problems in your sample selection process then it's safe to say that there are no serious flaws.

If however after sampling a few different coffees you find yourself experiencing one or more off-flavors at varying degrees then this may be an indication that certain samples have been exposed to conditions outside their ideal zone which caused flavor changes.

jaunecitrine

Nov 28, 2021
Gatineau, Canada
Visit site
I have some advice for you . If you are serious about getting into the business you need to either get a job in the industry or hire a consultant. I have spent my entire adult life in the coffee business...can't imagine doing anything else. Let us know how you make out.
Not the kind of answer I was expecting. Well thank you for your honesty. I'm currently looking at helping out a local roaster out here to get me started. I made a search and the thing I have to roast beans is apparently hard to gather data from using softwares such as Artisan.

I'm currently experiencing new varieties of beans. I'm definitely not buying in bulk.