lovin my roaster

debbiej

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
ok. still not legal. my stomach ties in knots when I think that another week has gone by without my gas line run or roaster inspected. got in an argument with fire chief the other day. it is NONE of his business who pulled the permit, yet he was snooping around. I've been roll over compliant. no more. they need the gross receipts from businesses, they had better make it easier to stay in business.

but hey! the coffee is good. learning about air and how using it speeds up or slows down the roast. business is good, people let me know on a daily basis that they come in because the like the coffee.

debbiej

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
thanks. Still waiting for the plumber to run the gas line. I gave an ultimatum yesterday. be in here wed. or I will call the state inspector and ask the permit to be transfered to another plumber. I am really tired of this. I think he is having some serious personal or health issues, but I need to get this done!

I sure hope the inspection goes ok.

debbiej

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
lets see, it is two months later than my last post. still waiting for the plumber.
but the line and installation is inspected, so all I'm waiting for now is for the gas to be turned on and the roaster to be converted to natural gas. sheesh. but on Friday, I should be roasting in my shop during business hours.

debbiej

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm legal. roasting in my shop has changed my life. I can roast when I need coffee. I can go home at 6. yipee!

nat. gas is different. it is faster, easier.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I bet its a real relief!! How is your ventilation? Any issues when you do a French roast? I would love to see pictures of your place!

debbiej

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
my shop is in an old gas station. the roaster is in the room that would have been the place you came in to pay for your gas, and buy oil. our kitchen would have been the office, and our bar and most of the customer seating would have been the 'service bay'. when we remodeled, we took out the garage doors (sagging and splitting) and replaced them with double french doors. we poured concrete to raise the floor and cover the lifts and pits.

in the 'roasting room' there is a single door and a screened opening above this door. the screened opening is our fresh air make up. right now the weather is warm. I have plans to have a transom type window built, so that we can open it when roasting, close to conserve heat.

since the most I roast is 7# a batch, the smoke is pulled down quickly. so far, so good.

tonight I was there after closing trying out fall coffee cake recipes. I thought that I should have brought the camera. I will soon, promise.