Low Acid Coffee Search

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
I use Star Bucks Sumatra because it is touted as low acid, and it does seem to reduce stomach upset for me. Can anyone suggest any other low acid beans dark roast, that are commonly available in USA? Funny thing, I emailed Star Bucks asking if they had another low acid and whoever responded claimed SB's didn't sell any low acid coffee, yet the description on their web site says Sumatra is low acid. tarbucks Sumatra Dark Roast, Whole Bean Coffee | Starbucks Store
Our spicy Sumatra coffee is a full-bodied dark roast coffee with a smooth
mouth feel and almost no acidity. Buy it online today!

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
Most Brazilian coffee will be low acid, no need for a super dark roast that destroy the coffee! A medium-dark roast is perfect.

Seb,
I always drink a mocha latte, which is why I have been using a dark roast, in the context just mentioned, would you still suggest a med-dark roast? I do see what your getting at though, it is something I have pondered but it seems difficult to find med-dark locally. Also, much thanks for aiming me towards Brazilian, I'll look into it.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
I do not believe that country can simply determine whether the coffee has less acid or not.
If you ask me, there are few factors that make up the acidity.

1. Altitude & Volcanic soil : higher the altitude & with volcanic soil, more the acidity because coffee plants are under more stress, making them to be more efficient, less leafs, less fruit, but the plants have higher respiratory rate that the coffee beans contain more acidity.

2. Washed coffee is more acid than Natural processed coffee. Mainly because DP(natural) ferment with bits of cherry fruit, so it retains more sugar.

3. Darker roast is less acid, however, personally I do not recommend because burnt coffee destroys they fruity and interesting acids like malic, phosphoric and even citric due to prolonged heat exposure.

4. lastly, if you really want to avoid any acidity, JUST DRINK YOUR COFFEE STALE!.

Last edited:

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
I agree with you Alex but as a "general guideline" i think it is fair to say that most Brazilian coffee will be less acidic then a lot of other country. I use four differents green beans from Brazil and they are all very low in acid (natural and semi-wash) compare to all my other beans for the same roast degree. It is much more difficult to find a high acid bean from Brazil then let say Kenya for example. Anyway, he should try some natural process Brazilian beans and see if it fit his needs.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Yes, you are in a way correct. "most" of Brazilian coffee is less acidic than other coffee growing countries.
this fact is not because it is BRAZIL (due to country), but most of their coffee is lower altitude grown (between 800 to 1200 meter) in grassland in NON-VOLCANIC SOIL (which is another huge factor to make coffee with fine acidic flavor).
For your info, it is also a good base for making flavored coffees due to it's "softness" in the cup.

As example, in Guatemala coffee region, almost every coffee region is about 1300 meters and up (I am talking about SHB Arabica) and it grows in VOLCANIC SOIL. Without these two components, the Guatemala coffee will also resemble the same characteristics as most of Brazil coffees.

Also, BTW, around our city in Guatemala, there are many coffee farms around 1000 meters (and no Volcanic soil) which produces Extra Prime & Semi Hard Arabica beans. They share a lot of similar characteristics with most of Brazil lower altitude coffees.

Last edited: