Machine suggestions please

airpolgas

Sep 18, 2007
Visit site
I have a 4-month old DeLonghi Magnifica EAM3400. I''ve been using it mostly to make my home version of Starbucks''s Caramel Macchiatto. With the occasional shot of expresso once in a while, the machine is pretty much used for my caramel macchiatto.

We had some visitors over and I realized that I can''t make a straight drip coffee with this unit. It can make an americano, but the lightest setting is still too bitter to my guests, and we ended up adding water, microwaving, and fiddling with different amounts of creamer/sugar -- not the least entertaining.

Can someone please suggest a drip machine for me? I prefer to start with the beans I already have, have the machine grind them, and then make the coffee. I''m hoping to avoid a separate grinder for the beans.

Would it also be a good idea to use the beans I have? I am currently using the espresso blend from Starbucks. If I make drip, should I use the house blend instead?

Thank you.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
No you had the right forum.

Without trying to come off being rude. Did you even bother to search this forum for an answer to your question?

Here are 3 companies that manufacture drip coffee brewers for home use. Capresso has a machine that will grind and produce your coffee. However I prefer Technivorm over the Capresso. Its my opinion that Technivorm is a better machine for producing more consistent coffee.

1: Technivorm
2: Bodum
3: Capresso

If you can find a few models and would like us to help you decide which one would be better for your needs then by all mean please post your question.

I'm sorry that no one answered your original post. It just gets old when people drop by and ask for the best machine without doing just a little research first.

airpolgas

Sep 18, 2007
Visit site
No need to explain why it got ignored. I thought "they saw Starbucks" and placed me on ignore :)

I did search (prior to posting) and got a bunch of results, but then I asked myself "Now what?" I saw some grinders, and some drip makers, or if the other results have both, I wouldn't know where to look.

Now with the tips you listed, I can narrow it down. Thank you very much.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I just recieved a machine that grinds the coffee then brews it. The problem you are going to have is that you have to use beans that are not oily..the oil from the darker roasted coffees gum up the shoot below the grinder...oh well hope this helps...I have used all of the machines that CCAFE suggested...I would go with the top two. I am not really a big fan of Krups or Capresso...I'm weird like that :wink: