Mail Order Better Than Starbucks Same Price?

Jeffo

Aug 21, 2004
Visit site
Hi,
Could anybody suggest anybody that sells beans online that are better than Starbucks but would cost the same (as buying Starbucks local) including shipping? I tend to like the way Starbucks roasts their coffees (I KNOW many of you will disagree) so I like darker roasts and pretty much only like coffee from the Americas. Anybody that has free samples would be great too. I did try one that I won't name that was a disappointment. Thanks.

MrJerry

Free samples are tough to do, as everyone would like to have free coffee. I know where your coming from and I feel your need to try other blends...but you've got to get off this Charbuck$ kick, the beans are crap!

Don't go just for price, you need to branch out a bit as thewre are some wonderful beans out there...and some of them are priced higher than Charbuck$.

Just my 2¢

kaldisbest

Jul 28, 2004
Madison, Wisconsin
Visit site
Mail Order Coffees

Hi Jeffo,

My name is Jason Russo, and I'm the sales director for Kaldi's Best Sustainable Coffees - we're a wholesale sustainable coffee roaster in Madison, Wisconsin (Certified Organic / Fair-Trade) - here's our website:
www.kaldisbest.com

We would love to have the opportunity to have you try our coffees - we have a few dark roasts that I think you would enjoy - I'd recommend either the Liliana Roast or our French Sumatra - I know you mentioned your preference for Americans, but why not give either of these a try?

Feel free to contact me with any questions... Cheers!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Thats kewl...I once used an antique royal...it was from 1890...fun to roast on...I am now on a 60 kilo...we have a second one coming...can't keep up with one...tell mike I'm sorry...I know how difficult it must be using a 12 kilo...he must be at it all day long :shock:

For dark roast that you can get mail order, go to Peet's. They have turned dark roasting into an art form.

As far as Starbuck's quality, it is slipping. Roasting masks it to some degree, but they have been experiencing some growing pains.

If you want to go head to head with Starbucks on coffee, go right ahead. But if you want to go head to head with them as a business, I hope your 401K is in good shape. If you get on their radar and they give a hoot, they will eat you alive and turn all your children into biscotti.

You're not only doing battle with the green mermaid, but with Seattle's Best (owned by Starbucks), Kraft General Foods, a distribution partner in supermarkets, and Sysco, a distribution partner in food service. There is a room of 800 lb gorillas throwing money around like it was free.

They buy about 230 million pounds of coffee a year. They are the single largest purchaser and reseller of milk in the country. They are a 4 billion dollar a year company growing at 25%. If you don't want to do the math, they are adding a billion dollars in revenue this year.

Most coffee companies, even the regionals, are rounding error on Starbuck's growth rate.

So rant and rave about Starbucks. Scream at the wind. Throw pebbles into the ocean. It will have as much effect.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
umm...I have seen your operation..so don't play like a big dog when you pee like a puppy :oops: . I see that you claim to have the best coffee in the world...how can you call it your coffee..when you buy it pre-blended from monster. :roll:

o.k, Topher thanks for the humillity lesson...I guess I stand corrected. Large scale coffe roasters are of cource more qualified...Just because I roast the beans in my new drum roaster...I guess I should be on a more humble prose. O.k just cause I have been to three different event this year ( Coffefest Seattle, NASCORE, the Cadian Coffee and Tea) and each time sampled coffe that mostly tasted like crap, I guess I'm biased. Each morning I setup my stand, get my grind on, make a cappy, and smile. Sure I have alot to learn and humility is one of them. I'm surprised at the defense taken esp when I never dissed anyone but the mermaid. Claims are like; well you know escusses. Anyway I wish you would have posted be when you checkd out my operation, I would have liked to had the opportunity to meet you.

Sinister703

May 31, 2004
Windsor,Ontario
Visit site
1st Javahill :whew, thanks for the write-up ...that makes me feel worse!
I live in a border city next to Detroit and we've had a $tarbux at the bookstore in our biggest mall for the past 4 years or so.

In March of this year I got news they were opening about 1/4 of a block from me to the corner, downtown on the main street. I thought we were done, cuz of the hype and starry-eyed love of starbucks in ...well..everywhere.
They opened end of July this year (its Nov now) and so far.. my sales have gone up from last year and more ppl pass thier shop to come to ours during the day. At night we get alot of American kids (19-21 year olds) and I think they may do a bit better on nights, but days is simply a busier time. Anyway, I get alot of comments that ppl like our shop more, and so far, I'm pretty happy with the results. The only bad thing is, our downtown is somewhat of a ghost town the past couple years, and thats why I wonder why Starbucks (and recently Quiznos) bothered to open very close to me. The owner from Quiznos (3 shops over) is considering closing his shop and its been open only 3 months!

NWJAVA I don't blame you for saying you have the best coffee, many ppl are confident about that, so its no biggie you said that, and its good to see you take pride in your coffee :)

And Topher, be nice to NWJ, :lol: I've read your posts from the past and took some of your advice. A month ago I put a deposit down on a 10 kilo Ambex :shock: I met Terry at Coffeefest Las Vegas, and attended his roasting class in August, good class and really nice roasters (as you mentioned quite a few times in the past). Your comments helped me make my chioce, thanks!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Sinister...I was only busting chops....NW you sent me pics...haha I haven't been out yet..I am coming your way next year.....my whole thing is don't bash the competion...I know I know they are no competition...sigh...truth be known beat them by one upping them.....I also respect them because where they started and what they have done for "our" industry....we would not be making the money we make now if it wasn't for them! NW java...you bought a drum?? Congrats which did you go with? You like it better than your air roaster? And the real question is how can your coffee be the best when mine is :p Sinister...did you get your ambex yet? I am getting my second 60 kilo this week or next...can't wait!!! Sorry if I offended anyone...guess that is just part of my weird sense of humor :oops: