Making coffee like that in Spain or Vietnam

bighatnohorse

Dec 6, 2017
Visit site
While in Spain and Portugal I would order Cafe Americano - and loved it. Always drank at least two cups because the size was a bit smaller than what I'm use to at home.
While in Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia I used a hotel expresso/coffee machine and pressed the Coffee/Americano button and got a good cup of coffee.
But for whatever reason, a Cafe Americano from Starbucks or wherever just does not taste the same.

What's the difference and how do I get coffee like in Europe or SE Asia but here in the US?

wstsider

May 24, 2019
Visit site
While in Spain and Portugal I would order Cafe Americano - and loved it. Always drank at least two cups because the size was a bit smaller than what I'm use to at home.
While in Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia I used a hotel expresso/coffee machine and pressed the Coffee/Americano button and got a good cup of coffee.
But for whatever reason, a Cafe Americano from Starbucks or wherever just does not taste the same.

What's the difference and how do I get coffee like in Europe or SE Asia but here in the US?

What was your taste on the Starbucks coffee

bighatnohorse

Dec 6, 2017
Visit site
The coffee in Thailand, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia seemed "thicker" with a "fuller" flavor. The coffee in Spain was smoother, thicker and fuller. Starbucks seems acidic, burnt and watery. The coffee / expresso machines in one hotel probably cost on the order of $10,000. USD (just my guess - I know these machines are expensive).
I bought some roasted robusta beans (from India) from a local roaster here in the US. I'm using an Aero Press and still can't get the coffee flavor that I want.

wstsider

May 24, 2019
Visit site
The coffee in Thailand, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia seemed "thicker" with a "fuller" flavor. The coffee in Spain was smoother, thicker and fuller. Starbucks seems acidic, burnt and watery. The coffee / expresso machines in one hotel probably cost on the order of $10,000. USD (just my guess - I know these machines are expensive).
I bought some roasted robusta beans (from India) from a local roaster here in the US. I'm using an Aero Press and still can't get the coffee flavor that I want.

Try a pour over maybe that will work

bighatnohorse

Dec 6, 2017
Visit site
Okay - I found my answer; a Nespresso Vertuo espresso machine.
I caught it on sale for $108. USD - but the pods are very expensive at $1.10 each!
However, it is a simple push-button experience. It produces a rich crema every time. There's virtually no clean up. It's so good - that it's hard not to over-caffinate one's self. I limit myself to two cups per day.
I could become a coffee-holic very easily now.