Manually making Coffee without Coffeemaker

Trudaroof

Nov 13, 2007
Philly
Visit site
If I were to pour 190 degree water through a Filter Basket full of Coffee grounds into a pot would it make a decent pot of Coffee? I''m going Camping and have no Electricity and can''t stand Percolated Coffee. I can''t imagine that a Coffee maker does much more than pour the Hot water over the Coffee..... does it?

Trudaroof

Nov 13, 2007
Philly
Visit site
ElPugDiablo said:
Can you bring a manual grinder and grind just before you brew? Anyway, 200 degrees and stir the grounds.
Actually, since I posted I spent some time reading this forum and decided that the French Press is the way to go. I just ordered the Bodum Columbia and can't wait to get it. I get the feeling that this will be my everyday method of brewing not just for camping. thanks

desertjedi

Nov 2, 2007
Visit site
I''ve think you''ve hit upon something relevant. IMHO, the best possible coffee (that I can make) is from a Vietnamese coffee maker which is simply a metal cup with tiny holes in the bottom and a compression tamper that screws down on top of the grounds. You simply pour boiling water into this metal cup that sits on top of your cup and it drips coffee down into the cup. It doesn''t make a lot but it would be great for camping.

My second choice would be a French press.

coffebot

Dec 12, 2007
Visit site
ditto

The Vietnamese "coffe hat" method makes rich, full bodied coffee.
Best lo-tek method I have found. Plus they are small, so good for travel.