Merchant Account/ POS questions

rmeffert

Feb 19, 2007
Visit site
First, thank you all for your time and knowledge ahead of time. This is what helps make the Indie Coffee companies a success is the support.

My question is:

1) What merchant account (credit card processing) company do you currently utilize?

2) Where did you get your POS equipment; any suggestion or recommendations as this tends to be an area people can quickly drain their pockets?

3) Do any of your merchant accounts allow you to use them for online purposes as well?

I am in the market for a POS system for a single store as well as an account that will allow my to connect for online sales.

Thanks again!

coffee4me

Jan 4, 2007
Visit site
I like the Micros POS system. This is a large company that has been around for awhile and they have a database just for coffee. You will pay a little up front but it is good insurance. In another industry I was in we always watched as new POS systems came in and then went bankrupt. This is not good for the long haul because you will end up re-buying.

jennyparsons

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
First, thank you all for your time and knowledge ahead of time. This is what helps make the Indie Coffee companies a success is the support.

My question is:

1) What merchant account (credit card processing) company do you currently utilize?

2) Where did you get your POS equipment; any suggestion or recommendations as this tends to be an area people can quickly drain their pockets?

3) Do any of your merchant accounts allow you to use them for online purposes as well?

I am in the market for a POS system for a single store as well as an account that will allow my to connect for online sales.

Thanks again!

A merchant account allows you to accept credit cards from customers at your business. Once you have a merchant account, you then have to program your credit card machine (or software, or ecommerce site) with the merchant account information. Now when a sale is made, the card is approved or declined, and the funds are deposited into your checking account. for more fetchflow.com - The Benefits of Using Authorize.Net and fetchflow.com Invoicing - Blogs

ODanchez

Jan 31, 2014
USA
Visit site
Have you seen/Has anyone used the Ipad Square system that you plug an Ipad into? They say you can also use it for online transactions. https://squareup.com/sell-in-store We were thinking of using it as we've heard decent things about it from friends of friends, (although I'm not a huge fan of Apple, don't hate me! :eek: My brain is just wired better with Microsoft systems.) Any likes/dislikes out there?

Last edited:

bigdaub

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
We have been using Square for 3 years. We have two Ipod touchs setup, it works like a charm. You could also set it up through an Android device. If you went with Nexus 7 you could have square and a Bitcoin wallet :)

Jettore

Mar 13, 2013
Philadelphia
Visit site
We've been using a Square stand. Ipad and USB cash drawer for a few months now its been working well. We also use Square on our Iphone/Androids devices for mobile sales. The card reader on the Stand is much better then the plug in card reader so that has been really useful. The cash drawer is a nice addition too. They do give you the Square market for online sales for free, but I did not find the shipping options flexible enough for me to get it where I was happy. We ended up using Square market for local delivery which does work well.

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
If you are looking for the best merchant account, you have to find a company that can save you money by avoiding high rate charges, hidden costs, and bad customer service. I can’t recommend any but I suggest that you have to read some merchant account reviews online.

garydem

Feb 25, 2014
USA
Visit site
I have seen square app being used by a few of merchants, and they never had any problems... we use the equivalent by Paypal (Paypal Here), and we never had any problems either (the reason we went with Paypal is the commission rates. It is little less than Square).

Having said that.... at the end of the day, believe me... you are going to realize that you are paying a pocket-full in commissions to these companies, even thought they make that 3% or 1.5% sound like a "no-big deal"... and yes, they are right, it is not a big deal, it is actually a huge deal.

For your online processing, you need to look at your volume to decide between;
1. monthly payments with reduced commission
2. no monthly payments with higher commissions

For our e-commerce site, we again use Paypal. It requires a little bit of a setup but we never had any problems; (unlike they used to be) they are one phone call away, and very helpful.

Hope this helps...

Cheers!