Metal Shavings New Moka Pot?

DOMD

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Is this normal? I only washed with warm water so far and wiped with dry paper towell I'm still seeing a couple specs of metal when I wipe it with my finger.

Moka-Pot

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Is this normal? I only washed with warm water so far and wiped with dry paper towell I'm still seeing a couple specs of metal when I wipe it with my finger.

What brand did you buy?

I've never seen anything like that with the ones we sell at our shop, but anytime you're working with metal, there's a risk of leaving some debris behind during the manufacturing process.

Personally, I would try to see if I could clean it and carefully observe the first brew. You need to season the pot anyway (make a couple test pots and throw the coffee away).

However, if you find it scary enough that you won't enjoy the pot, return it and either try a new one or a different brand.

DOMD

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I dunno what to do. Seems I always get atleast one metal particle on my finger. I got an Bialetti 6800 Moka Express 6-Cup. Thanks ;)

Last edited:

Moka-Pot

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm familiar with the Bialetti brand, but haven't used one.

At least you saw the shavings before you used the pot. I'd definitely give the shop you bought the pot from a call tomorrow. Maybe they will have some instructions for your or they can tell you its a defect.

You definitely don't want to drink anything out of that pot until the problem is corrected.

DOMD

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I cleaned it to the point where I wasn't seeing it anymore, I'm seasoning it now. I will give them a call before i drink out of it though.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello DOMD

Welcome to the Coffee Forum web site!

I've never looked inside of a Bialetti Moka pot.

Is the inside of your Bialetti made of real metal or the silver-shiny fake looking metal that's sometimes used for things.

Will the metal particles stick to a magnet?

You'd be surprised how many new things have metal particle residue in them. I'm surprised when I see people taking things out of the box and using them without washing them first. I've seen the metal shavings on cookware and bakeware dozens of times, so it really doesn't surprise me that there would be some in your Moka Pot. What surprises me is that there is so much. Quality control at the factory should have spotted that!

If you wash it thoroughly a few times and wipe the parts with a new paper towel each time, as well as run a few brews through the Moka pot, the metal particles should be gone.

Of course, contacting the manufacturer may result in you getting a new replacement Moka pot. It's worth a phone call.

Good luck with your new Moka Pot. Please let us know how everything works out.

Rose