Microfoam too much to hope for?

dsal

Jun 4, 2004
Visit site
Hi. I have a cheapo espresso maker. And, (probably) much to your dismay, I really like the microfoam on the coffee drinks at the coffee houses even more than the brew. I like that even on a cup of plain ol' coffee. If my main goal is to have great milk foam that will last until the bottom of the cup, how can I get that without spending mega-bucks on a good espresso machine? Do the stove-top steamers work? I can get steam out of the cheapo Krups machine that I have, but never nice, thick foamed milk. What do you suggest?

Thanks,
dsal

fag

Aug 9, 2004
Visit site
hello, the best solution to make good foam is the simple Aerolatte, this little skaker wich is battery powered. Its use is clean and really convenient, not expensive, and it will not encumber your kitchen.

Other good solution is the Jura Autocappuccino (or cappuccinatore), a plug wich you can put on your steam outlet, and wich pump the milk directly from the bottle, via a flexible pipe, by venturi principle. You just have to adjust Air/Milk mixture to obtain milf foam, hot milk, or just steam.

The first device is sent around 20 dollars, the second one should cost two times more money.
Just try the first, it's really clean, simple, economic, etc... i think it's the best device.

dsal

Jun 4, 2004
Visit site
Foam

Thanks for the suggestions! I do have a Bodum frother, which I think is similar to the Aerolatte. It's a little battery-operator hand-held whip. Yeah, it does whip up the milk, and it's ok, but I really would like the foam caused by the steam as opposed to whipped milk. It just tastes different. But I'll check out your other idea!

Thanks,
Donna

fag

Aug 9, 2004
Visit site
It's exactly what you said, foam tastes are different between those two systems. Let's try to make foam with the second, the little adjustable device, I don't find it on the web but Jura sells it with its automatic machines and u can buy it separately. If u don't want to buy it just go to your shop and ask for a demo! Enjoy!

ElPugDiablo

To make microfoam well you need foam milk with a steam wand that can reach the bottom of your stainless steel frothing pitcher. You need to introduce air to cold milk up to 100 degree F, then whirl the milk from 100 degree F to 150 degree F. Put you hand on the frothing pitcher to feel the change in tempreature. An approximate gage of 100 degree F is when your hand just feel warm, 150 degree is when the the frothing pitcher is too hot for your hand. You can use a thermometer instead of your hand, but no self respecting masochistic coffee pouring person would be caught dead with one. You can get more detailed description about milk frothing from the two links below. By the way, you see the guy's hands from gimmecoffee? And folks wonder why coffeehouse charge so much for a cup of joe. Just kidding, my hands are not like that, yet.

Good luck, and don't forget to purge and clean the steam wand once you are done!

http://www.espressovivace.com/archives/9011col.html

http://www.gimmecoffee.com/pdf/gimmeMil ... d1d540b7a4

dsal

Jun 4, 2004
Visit site
Thanks!

"Fag," and ElDiablo, thanks for all your suggestions! I was researching frothers on the web, and saw that Wholelattelove has something called a FrothXpress. Then, I happened to go into our local Meier store (grocery/department store kind of like a Wal-mart), and they had this item called a Froth Au Lait. It was on clearance, and I bought one at a super price. I tried not to get my hopes up too high, and when reading the manual, saw that it (supposedly) does not froth up Half & Half. I was disappointed, since that is what I like to use. I gave it a try anyways, and this thing is *fantastic*! I love it! It works! I get a ton of froth, and even have some left "at the bottom of my cup."

This is not to say that you great baristas are obsolete. I know that you strive hard to make a superb coffee drink, and a machine could not replace the practice and skill you've acquired. But this is the perfect item for me, at the coffee-stage I'm in.....someone who likes good foam and can get by with a regular cup of coffee. Maybe one day, when the kiddies are out of college, (few more years yet) I can "graduate" to a pricey cappuccino machine, but for now, I'm happy with my new toy!

Thanks again for your help!

dsal