Milk choices ?

Pinetree

Jan 9, 2023
Romania
Visit site
Hello everybody, this is my first post, and I would like to inquire about what types of milk people like to add to their coffee.

I was always a bit disappointed when trying plant-based milk but I am hoping other people can prove me wrong, especially since I have a friend that doesn't like dairy milk.

But I didn't try hard enough to find a good replacement, maybe other people have been more successful.

I don't own a fancy coffee machine, so I'm brewing it stove top, or cold brew, or using a french press of sorts. Not sure if that matters in terms of milk choice.

On a side note, I also like to drink tea (black or matcha), so if anybody has successfully used milk alternatives for these beverages, that would also help.

And I am a bit puzzled as to what qualities of milk make it go so well with coffee.

Is it the fat content? Is it the sweetness of the milk?

As background info, probably the main reason why I need to add milk is if the coffee feels too acidic. That's something that I dislike. If the type of coffee that I'm using doesn't feel acidic, I will sometimes drink black coffee.

Last edited:

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I'm a 2% cow juice person... but if you are looking for a milk alternative (especially for hot drinks)... check out Oatley Barista edition. Many of the milk alternatives have to have a emulsifier to froth properly. IMO this is the best.

Feb 27, 2023
New York
Visit site
Personally, I like almond milk because it's got a bit of nuttiness that goes well with coffee. But if you're not feeling plant-based milk, maybe try oat milk or soy milk? They're pretty popular alternatives.

And don't worry about not having a fancy coffee machine, you can still get a good cup of coffee with a stove top or french press. As for tea, I've heard good things about using almond milk or coconut milk in matcha lattes.

As for what makes milk go well with coffee, it's a combination of things. The creaminess from the fat content definitely helps balance out any bitterness, and the sweetness of the milk can also complement the flavors of the coffee.

If you're trying to avoid acidity in your coffee, you might want to try a lower acidity coffee bean or roast. Of course, this is just my opinion but experiment some and you'll find what's right for you.

Blossom

Mar 31, 2023
Quebec
Visit site
I put some Premier Protein Caramel Shake in my coffee ........sometimes Vanilla flavor

Also just cream sometimes !

Oh and also whipcream is good

baristaraimo

Jan 20, 2023
Millburn, NJ
Visit site
It is hard to answer since each person has their taste preference. Though you do not like plant-based milk in coffee, they are a popular alternative to dairy milk. I would like to know which plant-based milk you have tried! Adding almond or soy milk to coffee can let you enjoy an extra layer of flavor, but it depends on your taste buds. Have you tried any of them?

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
It is hard to answer since each person has their taste preference. Though you do not like plant-based milk in coffee, they are a popular alternative to dairy milk. I would like to know which plant-based milk you have tried! Adding almond or soy milk to coffee can let you enjoy an extra layer of flavor, but it depends on your taste buds. Have you tried any of them?
Have you tried the Oatly Barista series... I had one at SCA a few years ago... was shocked at how well it textured and had a reasonably neutral taste vs. nut milk.

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
I can understand if one is avoiding dairy for religious, ethical, philosophical, or health reasons. We might not agree, but do your best you. I have tried many different milk substitutes and have not found any that I prefer in coffee over half and half. Many are adequate if you are determined not to use milk. I am not.

One exception. I grew up on coffee with evaporated milk (Carnation). So that is my first go to when I run out of half and half. It reminds me of home.

Last edited: