mixing decaf coffee with caff green tea, hmmm

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
When I was apprenticing roasting I brought some coffee home to taste. It was my first time roasting Kona and I was super nervous. I pulled out the ole french press and brewed a pot. I took my first sip and it was horrible! I couldn't figure out what I had done wrong...I figured I did something wrong while roasting. So I went back to work and hid the coffee fearing I would get in trouble(kona is expensive...even 20 years ago) The next day I come home and see my wife(ex now) with my press. I asked why she was making coffee when she didn't like it. She corrected me and said it was tea. Kona is the lowest acidic coffee and when I drank it in my press it was sour. The tannic acid from the tea made my Kona taste sour....sigh. This is one of the reasons she is my ex. I can't imagine mixing tea with coffee...just my opinion though..my daughter likes mustard on her chocolate chip muffins..who am I to judge :)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
The problem was, since it was unexpectly being used for making tea (from tea leaves) he didn't know that there was a tea film on the tiny mesh parts of the French Press. It takes a bit of effort to get that tea taste out of the French Press parts.

It's right up there with the time when my "ex" made Hazelnut flavored coffee in my coffee maker. I couldn't get that taste out for a long time.

And I was Pee-Oed at him for a long time too.

Rose

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Rose: I'm really not trying to pry into your personal life. Rather, I was making a joke that you and topher had been married due to the similarities in your posts above.

LOL On the other hand, I have a friend who married the same guy twice, so maybe you and topher DID mess up each others coffee making devices on more than one occasion.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I'm definitely not a fan of flavored coffees....but I have to admit when we brew hazelnut coffee in the cafe where I work, it smells really nice. I've tried it, but I don't like it.

Rose

Last edited:

highbrow

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Definitely smells good but yeah... tastes bad...hazelnut is actually the one that I can tolerate if there is nothing else in the office. If its vanilla or any other flavor i'd rather drive over to a coffee shop and pick something up :)

coffee_fanatic

Jun 8, 2012
Michigan
Visit site
Flavored coffee is horrible! I can only do hazelnut or something similar once in a great while! Stay away from Folgers especially!! Yuck! I may have to try this tea and decaf mixture. Hmmm

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I don't drink decaf coffee. I've tried it (all sorts of brands and whole bean, etc.) and I don't like the "chemical" taste. Maybe sprucing it up with some green tea will help, but I'm not that adventurous. Please let us know if you try it and how it tastes.

Rose

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi "Eldub"

It's very possible that I've only encountered decaf that was chemically processed.
I'm not sure how the beans at work are decaffenated. Now I'm curious, and I'm planning to ask the coffee guy the next time he delivers the coffee order.

Rose