mixing medium roast and dark roast beans?

I'm new to coffee. I tried experimenting and found that mixing dark roast and medium roast, both arabica, tastes good.
I thought that I could get the acidity of medium roast that I can't get from dark roast, and I can get the thickness of dark roast that I can't get from medium roast.

Is it a strange thing to do with coffee? Will I be ridiculed for it? lol

Thanks

addertooth

May 30, 2022
Arizona
Visit site
Blending beans is an art. Sometime the blended product is better than the parts used to make it. Every once in a while it seems to inherit everything which was bad about the separate beans.

My wife was low on home roasted beans, so she decided to blend a Costa Rica, Colombia and a Brazil roast... and to my surprise it captured the best characteristics of all the players. I knew it was blind luck, and would not suggest it unless you have an excess of roasted beans sitting around.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Blending beans is an art. Sometime the blended product is better than the parts used to make it. Every once in a while it seems to inherit everything which was bad about the separate beans.

My wife was low on home roasted beans, so she decided to blend a Costa Rica, Colombia and a Brazil roast... and to my surprise it captured the best characteristics of all the players. I knew it was blind luck, and would not suggest it unless you have an excess of roasted beans sitting around.
Honestly I have never found it to be that involved... I prefer blends over any single origin I've ever used as most are one-dimensional regardless of what's done with them. A blend can give a unique layered flavor profile/texture that a single origin just can't match all said/done.

evajasmin1

Oct 18, 2022
us
Visit site
When you mix dark roasted and medium-roasted coffee. By doing this, you not only alter the flavor of the end result, but you are able to enjoy a deeper richness than what you could find from either. Mixing roasts will change the acidity, flavor profile, and strength of the coffee.