Mobile/Semi-Perm. Drive Thru Questions

karlyk

Dec 24, 2007
Visit site
I am in the design stage of a coffee drive thru. Any info would be helpful. The business will be in the Denver, CO area

1. I would like to have it be mobile so as not to have a foundation, external plumbing, or bathrooms. Can someone explain to be how the gray water/ fresh water tanks work. Are there services to fill and dispose? Any helpful websites.

2. Any good floorplan links you know of for a small drive thru (8x12)

3. What have you done for power?

4. Any other advice/info for having this type of coffee business.

Thanks!!

Rugby7

Dec 11, 2007
Tecumseh, MI
Visit site
mobile coffee units

A mobile coffee cart or van comes under health department regulation, so that is the best place to start. Requirements vary around the country, but in general they are very tough. Even when you have an approved design, if it is mobile, you have to check into a non mobilehealth department approved commissary once a day for supplies. So a mobile unit has to be completely mobile.

There are companies that build coffee carts, and there are franchisors of carts. Maui Wowi, & Cuppy''s have kiosks and pull behinds. A company that I work with as an outside consultant, Bearclaw Coffee, has a Dodge Sprinter van conversion you can see at
http://www.bearclawcoffee.com/locations ... index.html

There are a lot of success stories on mobile units, but being legal for heath regulations and zoning laws is your first consideration. Next, is deciding who your target markets are and how you are going to reach them.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
karlyk said:
I am in the design stage of a coffee drive thru. Any info would be helpful. The business will be in the Denver, CO area

1. I would like to have it be mobile so as not to have a foundation, external plumbing, or bathrooms. Can someone explain to be how the gray water/ fresh water tanks work. Are there services to fill and dispose? Any helpful websites.

2. Any good floorplan links you know of for a small drive thru (8x12)

3. What have you done for power?

4. Any other advice/info for having this type of coffee business.

Thanks!!

Are you asking about a semi-perm type of drive thru? Meaning, that you would like to have a location fixed on a lot, but have the ability to pick up & go when your lease is up? If so, then you would still have to go to the health department, city hall for permits, and so on to open your location. 8X12 is not really that large once you start putting equipment in it. As for layout I would suggest that you design it around the comfort of the operator, so everything is reached easily. I don't know of any place where you can get floor plans at no cost. However, I'm sure that someone here (on the forums) may share an idea or two with you. As for water, bathrooms, commissary, etc. that would be discussed with whomever you lease your space from. Power is generally run overhead (meaning outside on top of the building) that is if the city will allow that. In any case those are a few things to consider.