Moka pot not "real" espresso?

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
The Moka pot is a great little device, and though it produces a different type of espresso than a 9 bar machine, it
is still espresso, if you tune it right, you will get crema. There should be a wide spectrum for espressos

How do you "tune" a Moka Pot? I heat up the filtered water before filling the bottom chamber. I grind my beans fresh for each pot. I get them from a local roaster who has roasted them about 3 to 4 days before I buy them. The grind is pretty fine and consistent. I don't pack the coffee, just fill it without pack it down. I heat the water slowly so that when it starts to flow into the upper chamber it is slow. I then reduce the heat a bit so it doesn't sputter. When it's almost done I just turn off the heat. What else can I be doing to make the coffee better or with more crema?

Last edited:

Kenneth

Oct 13, 2020
Visit site
Yes. I agree to the question raised why do Italians call them as there invention when it was already in the existance. This is hilarious, just take up a followed notion in the market, make minor changes and do the rebranding under your campaign. And look what a major success they have currently, "Espresso"is famous all over the world know since past a long time.

But what I would like to say is that at last you got your same favourite taste of coffee that you wanted. Happy Coffee..!

How do you "tune" a Moka Pot? I heat up the filtered water before filling the bottom chamber. I grind my beans fresh for each pot. I get them from a local roaster who has roasted them about 3 to 4 days before I buy them. The grind is pretty fine and consistent. I don't pack the coffee, just fill it without pack it down. I heat the water slowly so that when it starts to flow into the upper chamber it is slow. I then reduce the heat a bit so it doesn't sputter. When it's almost done I just turn off the heat. What else can I be doing to make the coffee better or with more crema?

Hey MntnMan62,

small variations in the grind and in the amount of coffee.
Some of the same principles that pressurized espresso
machines abide by, as well as the age of the beans.

Many say roasted coffee peaks at about 2.5 weeks but everyone
has their own opinion about coffee age.

And yes, most of the crema rises in the beginning so just taking it off the heat once
it starts sputtering is good practice.

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
I figured I would post this on this thread and feel it ties in nicely. I was searching for a stainless steel alternative to my Bialetti Moka Pot. Why? Because it's aluminum. I've read all the articles that say that it can leach aluminum and that it won't leach aluminum into your coffee drink. Rather than continue to take the chance, I was looking at moka pots and came across this moka pot that claims to make true espresso. The key seems to be that it can build up pressure to reach at least 9 bars. I'm thinking, hey I'd love one of these. Then I see the price. $385. For that money I can buy a Cafelat Robot and make real espresso for sure instead of buying something that isn't widely accepted as being reliable. But I thought the concept was cool. So for all you moka pot geeks out there, check this out.

https://9barista.com/product/9barista-espresso-machine/