Moka Pot Problems

mike09

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I've got a Moka Pot, but I can't seem to get it to brew properly.
I do everything as I should:
Fill the water to just below the steam valve. Fill funnel with coffee, level it off and not tamp it. Screw on tightly and place on gas stove on enough flame to cover the bottom.

Now, I can't seem to get it so that the coffee comes out the top in a constant stream. I'll leave the lid open to see when to take it off heat, but it just kind of spurts and slappers all over the stove top. I can hear what seems to be boiling. Steam comes out the center column. But no coffee. Obviously if I have to leave it on the stove for longer than 10 minutes something isn't right. I've even tried using boiling water and than assembling everything. Same result. When I let it cool down and take it apart, the water still remains in the bottom chamber and its like it was never on the stove.
This is using store bought Illy espresso ground coffee. Is the coffee too fine a ground? Should I tamp it? I've tried watching videos online to guide me, but all that resulted was my going through a quarter of my container with no coffee to drink.

Thank you

ourcoffeebarn

Nov 8, 2004
Wisconsin
Visit site
It's been a while since I have had my moka pots out, but my first guess is too fine of a grind.

I may just have to go brew a cup of old fashioned, original espresso with one of my moka pots!

You know, it could be a problem with the valve...which might be dangerous. It would not hurt to take it back to the retailer if they are close by. If only steam is coming out of the central column where coffee is, it is a sign that perhaps the valve is not closing...thus not pressuring the vessel below- allowing the water (rather than just steam) to rise up through the coffee.

Noentrobcap

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
mike, I am Spanish and here till relatively few years ago these Italian stovetop coffeemakers were the only ones used, so I think I can give sensible advice.
Above all, please, d-o-n-'-t use espresso coffee, with its fine grind, with these coffee makers.With respect to tamping...well, each user manual instructs us not to do it...But I can say that many Spaniards do it, me included, and this is not dangerous.Even betters the coffee taste, makes a stronger coffee because a little more coffee fits. Of course I'm not talking about tamping it like you tamp coffee for an espresso machine, just a light pressure with the back of the coffee spoon or with your fingertips I mean.
I would try it once more with medium-ground coffee (here it's called moka) and give it a try. If it continues giving you trouble, discard the coffee maker. Hope have been of help.

dylan

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
might be time to buy a new moka

I had the same problem with a cheap moka. I could hear the water boiling, but the coffee would come up slowly in spits and spurts, and always had a burnt taste. I think the problem was the steam escaping around the side of the tray into the top of the coffee, rather than the water pushing through from the bottom. I don't think the safety valve has anything to do with it, as it's only there to release steam in the case of too much pressure. To solve this problem, you could try replacing the coffee tray with one that fits nice and snug. I spent 14 euros and bought myself a nice new Bialetti moka 3 cup, and have had no problems since.

Moka-Pot

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi.

Just a couple of points.

It sounds like you could be over heating your moka pot - you should heat your moka using a low heat - it should take about 5-7 minutes before coffee starts to emerge. When I make mine I dont really hear it boiling etc so maybe you have your temperature too high? The coffee should be quite coarse - my recommendation would be to start your grinder on a coarse setting and to vary the coarsness from there on.

Too course = Waterey weak expresso

Too fine =Bitter express (over extracted)

It's worth bearing in mind that the coarsness changes depending on the bean and I even read recently that the coarseness can vary depending on atmospheric pressure( Im not sure it changes enough where I live to make a difference though!!).

There's lots of info jotted around the net just search for hot to use a moka etc and you'll find loads - this one seemed useful though. Also try you-tube so you can see the process firsthand!

hope that helps.