Moka problem !

clandestino

Jul 4, 2006
Visit site
Hi there !

I bought a small moka pot last week....took it home and brewed a pot. The coffee flowed into the top chamber, nice and quick, just before the water had boiled (it seemed). It tasted pretty good, & I was looking forward to perfecting my technique.

However, I'm having a few problems... Every brew since that first one has turned out the same - pretty awful.

I fill the bottom chamber just below the valve. Fill the basket level with the correct grind. Screw the top on tightly and put it on a medium heat. Then 3 - 5 mins later, I hear the bubbling...& when I look in the pot, only a tiny amount of coffee has come through....90% of the water is still in the bottom chamber, boiling away.

If I take it off the heat at this point, no more coffee comes through. If I put it back on, tiny amounts of coffee gradually fill up the top section, but the water is boiling and steam is escaping from under the lid.

End result : very bitter coffee....and a far cry from my first effort.

So my questions are ...
1) What am I doing wrong ! :cry:
The pot itself appears to be in good order...the grind is fine...but the coffee isn't !

2) When brewing with a moka pot, how quickly does the pot fill with coffee ? 10-15 seconds, as per my very first attempt ? Or - a squirt of xtra concentrated coffee then 2 or 3 minutes of drip, drip, drip...as per every subsequent attempt ?!!!

Any advice would be much appreciated,
regards,
Mark

Mechaya

Aug 24, 2006
Visit site
Hey Clandestino: I'm having the same problem with my newly purchased Bialetti Venus. Did you ever find out what (if anything) you're doing wrong?
I exchanged the first pot for a new one, and am still getting just a little bit of boiled coffee in the top of the pot.

kevinm

May 9, 2006
Visit site
Things I've learnt with my Bialetti:
1. Never let the water in the chamber touch the valve (keep below)
2. Make sure the filter is the right way round (it fits both ways but only one way is correct)
3. Use medium heat
4. Make sure everything is clean before you start

kevinm

May 9, 2006
Visit site
No, the disc-shaped metal filter surrounded by a rubber ring in the bottom of the upper container. In my Bialetti it's possible to flip the filter over - even though it doesn't really look right if you do that.