More than one bean supplier...

wiferichie

May 9, 2017
Visit site
Hello! I am opening a coffee shop in about 6 months. I have been to many roasters and sampled their beans, and have it narrowed down between 2. I've googled it and have heard from some of these roasters, that coffee shop will have more than 1 bean roaster/supplier. I would LOVE to offer both of these coffees in my shop (one is better for espresso, the other is better for nitro cold brew and "slow bar" pour overs and such. Both private label as well, so I was considering asking if they could use the same label as the other, but I am perfectly OK with mentioning their particular roasting company on their beans. Thoughts on using more than 1 roaster?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
After all, it is your coffee shop. If you want to use more than one roaster, you certainly should go ahead and do it. It sounds like you've given it a lot of thought already and you have justifiable reasons for selecting two roasters.

If you are really okay with mentioning each roaster's particular roasting company on their bean packages, it probably would be better to do it that way. It may be difficult to get them to agree to sharing a label.

You could create your own label, and use it for their beans (and give credit to the roaster on the label) if they'd be agreeable to that.

It will be interesting to read what the other members of the Forum have to say about it.

Rose

wiferichie

May 9, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for your input! I would definitely have their roasting name on theirs - I want to do that regardless of 1 roaster or more.

After all, it is your coffee shop. If you want to use more than one roaster, you certainly should go ahead and do it. It sounds like you've given it a lot of thought already and you have justifiable reasons for selecting two roasters.

If you are really okay with mentioning each roaster's particular roasting company on their bean packages, it probably would be better to do it that way. It may be difficult to get them to agree to sharing a label.

You could create your own label, and use it for their beans (and give credit to the roaster on the label) if they'd be agreeable to that.

It will be interesting to read what the other members of the Forum have to say about it.

Rose

wiferichie

May 9, 2017
Visit site
Thank you! I will look more into creating the label myself! Good thing I have 6 more months before opening, haha.

i believe that you can use as many roasters / different beans as possible as long as it fits into your marketing.
most of consumers will not know differences of beans and roasters, so I think that in consumer/retail level, a lot is depends on how you market your company / sales / beans / promotion...etc

and as for labels, I would not mention anything about other roasters at all.
I would go with 100% my own labels, by creating your own marketing, own promotion, own advertising, in order for consumers to believe that you are IT. Everything comes from you, you have full control.

a lot of times, Brand image is bigger than what's behind it.
that is why all the major brands are spending billions of dollars to create their own images and marketing.

good luck to you.