Most Expensive Coffee In The World

coffeebeans

May 27, 2009
Visit site
You know which is the most expensive coffee in the world?

I heard it comes from Islands of Indonesia , specifically Sumatra, from the droppings of an animal called Paradoxurus which eats red, ripe coffee cherry and digests it in its tummy then this coffee is processed from what comes out!!

Is it really true? Have you tasted the coffee? :wink:

Seriously... there must be literally 100 postings out Kopi Luwak on this site alone. Living in Indonesia, having access to plentiful supplies of Kopi Luak and roasting quite a bit of the stuff has convinced me that really it is nothing special- for sure it is neither as rare as people are lead to believe nor as good. There are plenty of small hold arabicas from specic high altitude, untouched locations around th islands of Sumatra, Java, Flores, Irian, West Timor and Sulawesi that are ar superior, far more unique in the cup. Spin is, I am afraid, spin. I would say one thing I have learnt about Kopi Luwak is not only unsuspecting consumers but also some coffee proffesionals are sucked into the myth of this coffee

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
coffeebeans said:
...from the droppings of an animal called Paradoxurus ...

The Paradoxurus, seen here (in the middle), is often saught after
by other nearby dinosaurs for it's magically delicious poopings"

cat2_size.jpg

Okay, so here's the real paradoxurus,
more commonly known as a civet cat:

palm_civet.jpg

Altaso

Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Alun_evans said:
Seriously... there must be literally 100 postings out Kopi Luwak on this site alone. Living in Indonesia, having access to plentiful supplies of Kopi Luak and roasting quite a bit of the stuff has convinced me that really it is nothing special- for sure it is neither as rare as people are lead to believe nor as good. There are plenty of small hold arabicas from specic high altitude, untouched locations around th islands of Sumatra, Java, Flores, Irian, West Timor and Sulawesi that are ar superior, far more unique in the cup. Spin is, I am afraid, spin. I would say one thing I have learnt about Kopi Luwak is not only unsuspecting consumers but also some coffee proffesionals are sucked into the myth of this coffee

Do all Kopi Luwak taste the same?
Not at all! Is very important to know from which area the Kopi Luwak comes from. Luwaks eat the coffee from the plantations near their habitats. So you can find Robusta Kopi Luwak or Arabica Kopi Luwak. The best coffee will be the one collected from the good quality Arabica coffee plantations. Let’s say that Sumatran Kopi Luwak is different than the Balinese one because the Arabica beans coffee from where they are made, also taste different.
http://www.sweetmarias.com/coffee.archi ... untry=Bali.
A kopi Luwak from arabica beans from Kintamani, Bali taste really good!
I want to warn you that between 70% and 80% of Kopi Luwak or Civet Coffee which is available at coffee stores and Internet is not 100% Kopi Luwak and it sometimes does not contain anything of the genuine coffee, especially when it is advertised with the following slogan: “This coffee is so good that even the Luwak would like to try it”.
Link to posters website removed> Please no links to your website.

C

coffeeloverlisa

I sell it, I drink it, I love it, but even I tell folks Kopi Luwak is 80% great story and 20% great coffee. and that is why I sell it for $55 a quarter pound. I am convinced that people buy it and never drink it. they just show it to their friends.

Spend the $$ sometime on a bag of Esmeralda or El Soccoro. At least you can brag to your coffee friends with your head held high.
(I do not sell these anymore, so this is not an advertisement for my company :) )

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
It is also a "farmed" product, with the animals often (or always?) kept in confined cages and fed the coffee cherries. The fact that it is even allowed to be imported into this country bewilders me- not because of the treatment of the animals or their health, but for the nature of the product. In my opinion, George Carlin said it best: "Put two things together that haven't been put together before, and some schmuck is going to buy it." (nothing personal, folks). For less than half its cost you could be drinking you choice of any of the finest coffees in the world. This isn't one of them.

If you are interested in some Alsatian Arabica, I will feed some to him and have it ready for shipping sometime tomorrow morning depending on how much you need:
Rommel_5781.jpg

myles

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Kopi really is not that special, if you find the right person with enough money and have a great story you can sell it for anything

farijal

Apr 2, 2012
Medan
Visit site
Coffee Luwak, especially from Lampung And Bali, Indonesia. But remember, Only Coffee from Wild Luwak which is recommended, not from the caged one.

WonFeri

Jun 10, 2012
Indonesia
Visit site
hmm, too much rumour about it, I'm not going to argue about the authenticity, but one thing for sure "price does matter". If you buy the cheap one, you get the fake one. I don't like the caged luwak, they get sicked and can't produce good coffee beans. I don't know why, maybe a little stressed, and they can't picked what food they want to eat each day, every day the same menu. LoL

Won

Attachments

• coffee bean.png
    coffee bean.png
    155.5 KB · Views: 263

andyrodgers

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
The most expensive coffee in the world is based ... droppings of civet droppings and the resulting coffee. Photos posted by Peter Dalsgaard respectively and Simon Wong.

Behind these little piles of droppings of civet, a nocturnal mammal living in Indonesia, there are also the most valuable product of the country. Discover the amazing secret of making "Kopi Luwak", the most expensive coffee in the world.

With its excrement, the palm civet, which at one time, was considered a wound in the region, became the queen of coffee plantations in Indonesia. This animal that looks like a weasel feeds on ripe coffee berries but, unable to digest grains, he defecates intact. And at the time of passage of grain through the digestive tract of the civet, a combination of enzymes causes a chemical reaction that gives a unique taste to coffee.

With this natural fermentation, a cup of "Kopi Luwak" costs 20 euros in cafes and restaurants. A bag of 370 grams can, in turn, reach the exorbitant price of 200 euros.