Moving from Huky 500 to Ambex YM-5.....Profiling question

Boss99er

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys,

So this past weekend, I found myself an Ambex YM-5 as my first "production" roaster. I'm so excited to be able to roast more than 1lb at a time!

My question is this, for people that have started small and upgraded to a larger roaster, how did you go about migrating your profiles? I have a handful of profiles I've come to really enjoy (my few customers like them as well!) on my Huky, but how do those translate to the Ambex?

Here's an example:

Charge at 410, gas 3kpa, fan 20%
@ 300F gas stays at 3 kpa, fan burst to 75%, then back to 20%
@ 325F, gas to 3.5kpa, fan at 40%
@ 365F, gas to 1.5kpa, fan at 40%
@ FC, gas to .5kpa, fan at 40%
@ End of FC, gas stays at .5, fan burst to 75%, then back to 40%
Dump @ 435F

Obviously the kpa and fan settings wont translate directly, so was just curious how you guys go about that. Do you just make guesses, try the coffee, and make changes as needed? Essentially just start over?

Thanks guys!

Matt

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't see a time element in your profile. You have to be aware of how quickly/slowly you reach each event in order to duplicate the profile. If you still have the Huky, duplicate the profile and add in the time information, this might help predict where you need to set fan & flame in order to hit the same profile.

Boss99er

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Oh, I definitely have that info, but its at home. I was just pulling the info out of my head that I could remember. I have times though. My markers for time are turn around, dry (300F), 325F, 365F, FC start, FC end, Drop time. I'll just have to play to see how closely I can get my temps and times to match up. Is that essentially just what I'll have to do? I kind of assumed so, but figured I would run it by people that have done it.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
That's essentially it. Comparison of airflow rating on the fans could provide some additional input in order to accurately predict the transfer from one machine to the other, and shorten the trial and error phase. Good luck, my friend!

sae

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The airflow percentage is easy to move over but I'd convert your gas pressures to percentages also. Then figure out what gas pressure is 100% on your new roaster and then correlate your profiles that way. You will have to tweak them a bit and become comfortable with the new roaster but this will save you a lot of time.

Boss99er

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
That's essentially it. Comparison of airflow rating on the fans could provide some additional input in order to accurately predict the transfer from one machine to the other, and shorten the trial and error phase. Good luck, my friend!

Thanks bud! I'm so excited to be able to roast more than 1lb at a time! My dream of opening a micro roastery (is that a word?) is starting to feel like a reality!

Boss99er

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
The airflow percentage is easy to move over but I'd convert your gas pressures to percentages also. Then figure out what gas pressure is 100% on your new roaster and then correlate your profiles that way. You will have to tweak them a bit and become comfortable with the new roaster but this will save you a lot of time.

Excellent idea! I think the gas limit on my current setup is 5.0kpa. I'll convert everything to percentages, and then once I find the limits of my new roaster, use those settings. The thing that might screw that up though is my old roaster was propane. The YM-5 is natural gas. It should get me close though I would think. Closer than starting over!

Thanks!

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
As you can tell, there is never a problem with more information. The way I look at it though, is that you will want to condition the roaster with a few trial runs before you drop your first batch. Keeping an eye the predrop temperature rise that you are targeting will help you the most on where your adjustments need to be made.

Boss99er

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Oh for sure. There will be a "feeling out" period for sure. Much like my first roasts on the Huky. Now I feel like I can make the Huky do whatever I want. I'm sure that point will come with the Ambex as well!

One thing though, you said keep an eye on the pre-drop temp rise.....did you mean post-charge? I'm not following ya.

Thanks bud!

ellatas

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Experience on the new roaster will be the best method to match profiles as there are many factors at play. Among the factors: the larger roaster will have more material to heat up and consequently take longer to reach 'steady state'; the roasters will have different insulation and will lose heat at different levels; the heat transfer efficiency from air to bean will be different; the mixing of the beans and the level of conductive heat transfer from bean to bean will be different;.. etc...